Options

Hello there!

Howdy! Lurking typoholic here.

I work in academia. We often need to produce posters, worksheets, slide decks and other teaching/science communication materials, and some long-form technical writing here and there when all goes well. I have no formal training on the graphical side of things, but it's great fun - though I noticed that every project seems to start with hours of fiddling around looking for a shiny new typeface to try. And then inevitably the inferiors turn out a wee bit too small for formulae, or I'm missing a math symbol, or the tail on the /a is just a touch too wormy and now I can't unsee it and it bugs me... and it takes forever to tweak and twiddle and then set it all in double-spaced 12-point Times New Roman anyway because I have to.

I'm starting to think it may (almost) be more cost- and time-effective in the long run to make a font, one that would have the right kind of voice and also include all the less common glyphs I need. Even if I run out of steam and it doesn't end up being usable, I know I'll enjoy the process, and that's enough. Been reading through these forums for a few weeks now, especially through the type design critiques - it's fascinating to see a project take shape from the first sketches all the way to release in some of those threads. Karen Cheng's Designing Type second edition should be in the mailbox any day now. In the meantime though, I figured I'd muster some courage and say hello.

Comments

• Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,979
    Hullo!

If you email me your mailing address to tiro[at]tiro[dot]com I will send you a copy of the Mathematical Typesetting book that I co-edited for Microsoft.

You might also take a look at the STIX Two fonts. Even if they’re not everything you’re looking for, they might still be a useful reference, and be a robust option to Times New Roman.