Options

Save type designer Hasan Abu Afash from Gaza

Sorry for posting this in the wrong category, as I couldn't find a better category for this.

Yesterday morning, I received a desperate call for help via a mass email from Gaza-based type designer Hasan Abu Afash, who is looking for funds to help his family of 6 cross the Rafah border into Egypt.

I donated some money but then found that it would be a good idea to start a more coordinated effort to reach the funding goal.

Please try to share this far and wide (even tho Instagram doesn’t allow sharing) and of course donate if you can.

Please follow the Linktree via my bio to reach the campaign website, or use this link: https://gofund.me/39ae9000

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for this great initiative!
  • Options
    1. Donations to humanitarian aid organizations could provide help to the many, not just a few.
    2. Afaik the Rafah border is and has been closed. Donate anyway, but don't be ignorant about the premise.
    3. Why not re-share the bank information instead of actually redacting it?
    And maybe, just maybe, lose the name dropping at the beginning of the intro, eh? :neutral:
  • Options
    yanoneyanone Posts: 129
    edited February 23
    1. It's entirely your own choice to ignore a direct plea for help that you receive from someone you know. (Never met him personally, but known about him for decades). Low impact for many vs. high impact for few.
    2. The border is closed except for "VIPs" who can bypass visa applications by paying an Egyptian firm with links to the security establishment by getting on a list. The list is currently closed, but is expected to be reopened. This is the strategy here.
    3. The name dropping was about trust-building. I thought it would be better if I stand with my own name for the whole thing, which so far seems to work out. But it's a fair remark and I've added a note about that.
  • Options
    yanoneyanone Posts: 129
    edited February 23
    I’ve actually removed the redaction of the bank account (and enlarged the email in two separate images, as aspect ratio is fixed landscape in Gofundme). That was an irrational decision.
    Later today I'll add photos I've received from them.
  • Options
    There is also quite a big difference between sending aid to a community (which is very welcome) vs sending funds to a member of our own type design community. This is someone who has contributed a lot to this field and is in dire need of support. 
  • Options
    Thank you Jan. Please keep us updated if you can.
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,979
    Thank you so much for the update.
  • Options
    PabloImpallariPabloImpallari Posts: 779
    edited March 20
    What a great community you all are...  <3<3<3
  • Options
    That is very good! And they should end this war.
  • Options
    Such a relief!!! A ray of light in an otherwise horrific situation. Thank you for all your support!!!
  • Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,754
    I am thrilled to hear this—as many others will be!
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,979
    Brilliant!