Options

What do I change when editing SIL Open Source typeface?

Hello,

I have edited a typeface (Libre Caslon) and kept only the serifs (and some other stuff, it is inspired from this comic). I am now wondering what metadata for the typeface  I have to change. I work in Glyphs, and there is a nice menu for this type of stuff, however, after reading SIL License, I am not sure how I need to change the credits. Attached is a screenshot, and I would appreciate guidance on what to change.

Comments

• Options
    Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,394
    If you change the family name, you'll want to change the references to it throughout. You can cite/credit folks in the readme and description field. You'll probably want to retain the copyright notice and add yours after it. 

Not legal advice, personal opinion only, etc. 
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,983
    edited January 9
    There’s typically a statement with the OFL license indicating what you are supposed to preserve with regard to the copyright notice. Everything else can be changed, but should be changed consistently across the various fields.

It is usual to change the font name when forking a project, to avoid possible confusion. I suggest including a statement in the description field that says something like ‘Based on Libre Caslon by...’ so people know what your source material was and who designed it.
  • Options
    Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,394
    In Roboto Flex, Font Bureau wrote "Berlow after Robertson" ;)