Options

Hello and Merry Christmas!

Hello!

My name is Reese Lee and I'm new here. I’m a graphic designer from the Canadian prairies who picked up type design as a hobby after falling in love with typography in college. I launched my humble business Tofu Type Foundry back in May as a final assignment before graduating.

While teaching myself type design I stumbled across numerous TD forums and am very grateful for all the discussions and explanations publicly documented—especially Christian Thalmann’s long evolution posts which are great for a novice to learn from. You’ve all cultivated a great centre for learning and community, and I look forward to sharing my own work now too!

PS: My apologies for not using a real name. I only read about that after making an account, and my profile doesn’t allow me to edit it for some reason.  :'( I also can't select Introductions for the post category. Is this normal?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Reese! I grew up substantially in Edmonton, and my wife is from Regina, so you are not the only prairie Canadian around. Welcome to Type Drawers!
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    Greetings from Calgary
  • Options
    Welcome! 

If you click on the little dropdown menu in the upper right on your profile page, you should be able to change your username (you also don’t have to, if you don’t want to).

I’m not sure what’s going on with introductions; I’ll investigate.
  • Options
    @Thomas Phinney @André G. Isaak Greetings from Winnipeg! It's great to see there are other Canadian designers on here.

Thanks @Mark Simonson ! I'd like to apologize for using pirated versions of your fonts in high school PowerPoints. My presentations did look amazing because of it though.

@James Hultquist-Todd When I try clicking on that it tells me "You don't have permission to edit your username". It's in a greyed out non-clickable hover state, unlike email and password which I can change.
  • Options
    @Tofu Type Foundry  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't imagine many high schoolers pay for fonts.
  • Options
    Oh hey! Glad to be of service! ;)
  • Options

• Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,148
    Welcome, and greetings from Orangeville, Ontario.

• Options
    P.S. your Meet the Team page is pretty funny.
    Hah! :lol:
    BTW: The capital eszett (ẞ) in Renwick Book doesn't work.
  • Options
    the "ugly blue" line made me smile

• Options
    Greetings @Nick Shinn! Your Scotch Modern family was the first time I heard about scotch romans, and I've been loving them ever since.

Thanks @Justin Penner! I don't doubt for a second you grew up in Manitoba with that name; there were two Justin Penners in my graduating year haha.

@Vasil Stanev Sorry, I'm not sure what "ugly blue" line you're referring to.
  • Options
    @Christian Thalmann Yeah, there's a lot about Renwick Book that doesn't work. I've been updating it over the last six months and improving the design as I learn more (but haven't published the revisions yet). Here's the current eszett, in upper and lowercase. Do you have any suggestions for the design or proportions?

• Options

@Vasil Stanev Sorry, I'm not sure what "ugly blue" line you're referring to.

• Options
    Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,941
    edited December 2023
    Here's the current eszett, in upper and lowercase. Do you have any suggestions for the design or proportions?
    It absolutely needs to be cap-high, not ascender-high. The design is actually pretty good, just a bit droopy (too much emphasis on downward diagonals).
  • Options
    Linus RomerLinus Romer Posts: 185
    edited December 2023
    I hope it's okay if I write here what else I've noticed about the glyphs. In my opinion, the diagonal stroke widths of the \O are too strong. The outer upper outline arc of the lower half of the \B starts at a strange angle and makes the upper right diagonal stroke width seem too thin. The stroke widths of the Eszett are much more consistent in comparison.
  • Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,148
    edited December 2023
    I’d try it out in a few all-cap words, e.g. GROẞE.
    In fact, this is the advice I give to all designers showing alphabet dumps—get real!
    (It would have pre-empted the error Christian just noted.)
    And after all, this character avoids all contact with mere minuscules!
  • Options
    @Vasil Stanev I'm glad you enjoyed my meme haha. My favourite comment from a client was that the design needed to look "good". When I inquired what they envisioned this to be they replied it should be "nice".

@Christian Thalmann @Linus Romer @Nick Shinn I'm open to all comments on my work! These are great suggestions and I'm wondering if I should start a new thread to continue this conversation. Plus, then I can add some proper examples like Nick suggested.