Comments

• Options
    /A looks like early cyrillic  :)
  • Options
    Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 762
    edited December 2023

• Options
    I like it.

Maybe try something different for \Q as it looks for me like \a.
  • Options
    I love seeing this kind of early draft. I see many people tried designing this kind of wavy and quirky style font and I think it's really hard to do it good. This one is definitely still quite rough but it makes me wonder how the final output would be. It looks fun though. 

Anyway, I took your draft and had some fun with it, it turned out as something very different and a bit less fun than yours.

• Options
    The last one is mostly working for me. I like the vaguely uncial elements! That combines well with a general sort of 1960s art nouveau revival sensibility.

A couple things not working for me:
    - the bump in the C just seems weird and makes me uncertain what it is. Maybe make it more ornate at the end or give it a top serif like the U only pointing downwards. Whatever you do there might carry over to the G as well.
    - the X feels undecided whether it is an X or an N
    - the Z could use sharper branching and less rounding, could borrow some ideas from the current version of X perhaps
  • Options
    "The last one" wasn't an update but a different designer's take. Attractive, but not sure that's the best thing to post on a crit thread. Are those new forms intended as suggestions for the OP? Suddenly it becomes muddy: is the critic ripping of the original ideas? Would the original designer be ripping of the critic to adopt the changes? Is this becoming a collaboration that the original designer never sought?

(All that said, the last post is charming and well drawn!)
  • Options
    "The last one" wasn't an update but a different designer's take. Attractive, but not sure that's the best thing to post on a crit thread. Are those new forms intended as suggestions for the OP? Suddenly it becomes muddy: is the critic ripping of the original ideas? Would the original designer be ripping of the critic to adopt the changes? Is this becoming a collaboration that the original designer never sought?

(All that said, the last post is charming and well drawn!)
    I just had some fun you know. Not trying to make it into my own so I'm fully open if the OP wants to adopt some things here and there. I should've made that clear.

But ultimately I think you're right, it's not the best thing to post on a crit thread.

Thanks by the way!
  • Options
    @Yusril Muhtadi
    Thank you for your take on my design, I can't wait until you turn it into a working font :)
    Meanwhile I am wondering if I should bother too much with non-alphanumeric symbols. Sure they are needed for a minimal set, but for display fonts it seems more like an  overkill. :)
  • Options
    Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,380
    @Vasil Stanev Try avoiding perfect verticals and horizontals and see how it goes. I think that's the only thing that doesn't work in your second example.