Options

Contextual alternates in latin sans-serif

After three days of prototyping a simple, geometric font (primarily for contextual alternates), I realized that I had almost got Futura :neutral:  I came up with a humorous comment and realized that Frederic Goudy even commented on it a long time ago :smiley: a strange era for us...

Comments

• Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,148
    What is your opinion about removing the left hand side of the Lslash diacritic?
    (Not really related to your post, just a Polish display-type question.)
  • Options
    What is your opinion about removing the left hand side of the Lslash diacritic?
    something like this looks a bit unusual to me, but it would fit exceptionally well in this typeface (as contextual alternate of course)

• Options
    I suspect the typography of this old album cover was rub-down (Letraset/Mecanorma), with the accented characters not provided on the transfer sheets, but produced by “stealing” accents from, for instance é.
    I do think you could take some liberties with your accented characters, in keeping with the “crowded” principle of the typeface design.

• Options
    For more visual examples of one-sided strokes on Ł, see this Flickr thread, including signs, commemorative plaques, shop fronts, handwritten price tags. I wondered whether it’s acceptable for native readers. Mariusz commented:
    Hey, I’m Polish, it’s totally fine, and not weird to us, it’s just more common for older signs (I'd say pre 1980) - I wouldn’t expect it on anything new.
  • Options
    I think, a certain liberty in the treatment of accents (and Lslashes&ogoneks) has a long tradition in Poland. My favorite Lslash on 50 złotych banknote:

• Options
    the project will end up as a base for a color font, and since it's already December 15th... :)
  • Options
    What font is the 2024?
  • Options
    What font is the 2024?
    It's my numbers only V-font Fog2

• Options
    damn, I just realized that my font in Red evokes certain associations (mainly because of the "N" logo)

• Options
    Your N is folded differently, so no problem.
  • Options
    Your N is folded differently, so no problem.

I think the same, but the first comment I got was "You used Net**ix font in this picture" :o
  • Options
    Hah, maybe I don't watch too much TV but my first thought was Sophia Tai's Foldit!
  • Options
    Grzegorz Luk (gluk)Grzegorz Luk (gluk) Posts: 157
    edited December 2023
    [...] my first thought was Sophia Tai's Foldit!
    Hmm, most likely because you were dev-support in Foldit project :)

• Options
    my little, fun analysis for one glyph and its potential contextual alternatives made while working on this font :| 
  • Options
    John ButlerJohn Butler Posts: 248
    Very Monte Cazazza!
  • Options
    Grzegorz Luk (gluk)Grzegorz Luk (gluk) Posts: 157
    edited January 27
    Very Monte Cazazza!
    :)

• Options
    You should add a variable axis, in which the part snipped off travels for A to Z and back again. ;-)
  • Options
    You should add a variable axis, in which the part snipped off travels for A to Z and back again. ;-)
    I suspect a bit of irony, but it could be an interesting idea :D

• Options
    I’m post-ironic. One never knows whether one’s silly ideas will amount to anything, or where they will lead, until one tries them out. Thank you for “taking the ball and running with it”!