Options

Ripoff Account on CreativeMarket

Hi all,

I know these are a dime a dozen, but I discovered a ripoff of my typeface Discotack on this CreativeMarket account. The font they were selling was a direct copy of an earlier draft I had posted on Dribbble. I sent a message to the user and threatened legal action (admittedly, an empty threat) and they removed it from their store within minutes.

Just wanted to link this account here in case any of your work or in-progress work is being distributed here. Lots of familiar looking type here.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for sharing and sorry you were affected here. I passed this on to my colleagues at Creative Market and this shop has been disabled. Please feel like you can contact CM support about stuff like this...we don't want rip-offs like this on our site.
  • Options
    Brian DoveBrian Dove Posts: 8
    edited September 2023
    Thank you, I did file a report to CM support as well and appreciate that it was quickly taken care of!

For anyone who saw your type or type from folks you know on this account: this user (Sgmnt/Daniil Toropov has accounts on many other sites (Creative Fabrica, Fontbundles, Designbundles, at least). I've submitted reports on the sites that have a way to do so, we'll see if they get taken down. 

I'm sure plagiarism has been discussed here ad nauseam so not looking to do that. Just wanted to point this seller out to the community!
  • Options
    Looks like Dribble and Creative Market took him down, but he's still got stuff here:

• Options
    And looks like he's down at Creative Fabrica.
  • Options
    I wonder why these marketplaces don't use a basic algorithm to figure out if a font already exist on their on platforms. Oh yeah they might make more money.
  • Options
    k.l.k.l. Posts: 107
    edited September 2023
    Define what that ‘algorithm’ would do, and what exactly you mean when you say ‘basic’, then implement that. It may answer your ‘why’ question.  ;-)
  • Options
    k.l. said:
    Define what that ‘algorithm’ would do, and what exactly you mean when you say ‘basic’, then implement that. It may answer your ‘why’ question.  ;-)

Well maybe ‘basic’ is out of place but Font identification tools exist, Monotype use it. Moreover if it's possible to identify a font (i.e. WhatTheFont) in a collection it shouldn't be a problem to identify a copy of a pre-existent font. Not to mention AI.
  • Options
    k.l.k.l. Posts: 107
    I knew you’d say ‘AI’ ...