Options

What is the standard practice for naming instances with multiple styles?

Hi everyone, I need your guidance to understand what is the standard practice when it comes to naming instances and you have multiple styles in a variable font. Example: I have resolution-based axes and currently I'm using one family name but for instances I have named Regular, Regular Retina, Bold, Bold Retina and so on...
Is this okay or there is a better way to do it? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Paul HanslowPaul Hanslow Posts: 162
    Id first identify what your intention is with the typeface and the best method to ensure users understand how each of typeface's weights/styles is intended to be used. For example, for a newspaper text typeface you may have three grades per weight:
    Regular - grade 1 2 and 3
    Bold - grade 1, 2 and 3
    etc etc

so I'd name these 'Regular Grade 1', 'Regular Grade 2', 'Regular Grade 3' to ensure users understand the Regular and Bold are separate weights with three slightly heavier weights than each other. In short, think about the hierarchy of what you're intending to do and to name weights/styles to be transparent rather than confusing.

From what I gather you've got a Retina style. What's it for? What's its intended usage. How is Regular different to Regular Retina? Id want to know this up front if I was to understand what weight/style I needed to purchase.

If you're questioning how to name the instances so they display in the correct order in Indesign and other drop down menus, well, that's a different kettle of fish.