Options

New Font Forum! Fonts.xyz

There is a new font community in town: Fonts.xyz. It is brand-new and, yes, a dark mode is coming soon! 

Comments

• Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,754
    More font-related communities are a perfectly reasonable thing. I would still be curious to hear more of your objectives in creating it. Other than having a font ID section, what purpose(s) does it have that TypeDrawers lacks? How else are you thinking/hoping it will differ?
  • Options
    TypeDrawers doesn't award points and reaction scores?
  • Options
    Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,654
    edited June 2023
    TypeDrawers is primarily about type design and font production. Fonts.xyz seems to be more oriented towards typography in general.
  • Options
    It would be interesting if Fonts.xyz focuses more in general public. Its font ID is already an invitation to this. Someone who just wants to know about what font to choose or combine may be scared by the technical level of TypeDrawers.
  • Options
    Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,379
    Reflecting on the diverse platforms for discussing typefaces and fonts, I've found traditional forums often provide a more focused and engaging environment than broader social media platforms. Platforms like typo.social, for instance, held immense potential. However, the atmosphere has somewhat deviated from its initial promise, exhibiting a tendency towards formality and less inclusivity.

Further, the content drift towards American politics and climate change has muddied the waters, causing the platform to increasingly resemble general social media feeds such as those on mastodon.social. The departure from the core subject-type, is disheartening.

However, I'm optimistic about the emerging platform fonts.xyz. With its potential to gather a wide range of font enthusiasts, from novices to experts, it could develop into a go-to hub for us all. Its success, of course, is largely dependent on its user base. It's early days, and the platform's direction and popularity remain to be seen. Here's hoping it evolves into a thriving, vibrant community for our shared passion.
  • Options
    More font-related communities are a perfectly reasonable thing. I would still be curious to hear more of your objectives in creating it. Other than having a font ID section, what purpose(s) does it have that TypeDrawers lacks? How else are you thinking/hoping it will differ?
    Sorry for not clarifying earlier, but I did not make fonts.xyz; I merely joined it very early and asked if I could help spread it around. I do not know what &’s (the creator’s username) idea or motivation was.
  • Options
    It's already been shut down.
  • Options
    Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,654
    Weird.
  • Options
    I swear I didn't do it.
  • Options
    I swear I didn't do it.
    lol
  • Options
    They did warn us: dark mode is coming soon.