Options

Monotype foundry webinar on royalties

Hello all,
We've been receiving a lot of questions about how Monotype will pay royalties on its new subscription service. We've also heard that they plan to give a webinar on the top on Wednesday so, in order to be helpful, we've publicly shared the questions that would help give transparency to the topic. I've posted them here:

and I'm posting them here as well:

Qs to MT:

1- Can you please confirm that the foundries will actually receive 25% royalties on income from Monotype Fonts rather than 50%? Most subscriptions are simply bought online. Why is this not treated as Digital Commerce with 50% royalty rate as is standard?

2- Of the $199 for Individual Pro subscription, how do you split the income across the 40,000 fonts, the fonts that get synced, the 3 commercial fonts & all the webfonts used?

3- The commercial fonts can be swapped. How many times & how do you divide income across all the ones used?

4- If for example, fonts can be swapped 4 times a year. Will a font that was named for the whole year get the same income as one that was named for just one quarter?

5- How do you define fonts in the count of 3 commercial fonts allowed? Is it 3 font weight/styles or 3 families?

6- How are you able to guarantee to foundries that fonts that are synced are not being used “commercially”?

7- How do you define “commercially”? Why is desktop limited to prototyping but web font usage is exempt from that restriction?

8- On how many websites can the fonts be used? How many web fonts can be used in the Individual Pro plan? The info on the website is vague...

And finally, based on what has been shared online, your most recent MyFonts contract pushes foundries onto Monotype Fonts as well, where they will get less favourable conditions: 25% instead of 50%, of a likely reduced total income. 

Do they not have the right to choose?

Comments

• Options
    Oooohhh that's a totally different angle to take... My questions are focused on royalty calculations rather than royalty tracking and reporting. You would hope, really, that they are able to:
    1- track usage accurately
    2- report it correctly
    and
    3- assign the right royalty calculations to it
  • Options
    You're welcome! For any foundry on Monotype, and is now on the subscription service, it's important to analyze the trends in royalties per quarter, how much of that comes from subscription, and the number of large deals. The problem is, any large deal coming through subscription will not be visible, because of the issues of how royalties are calculated as I mentioned earlier.
  • Options
    I have personally experienced that some bugs on MT platform can be "very creative" and working on resolving by technical team may take years.
  • Options
    Diego AravenaDiego Aravena Posts: 10
    edited October 2023
    Oooohhh that's a totally different angle to take... My questions are focused on royalty calculations rather than royalty tracking and reporting. You would hope, really, that they are able to:
    1- track usage accurately
    2- report it correctly
    and
    3- assign the right royalty calculations to it
    They do, but they do not report it unless it's necessary. I had an online meeting with one of the Monotype guys asking for my consent to let them to close a deal with a big company instead of doing personally. They are very good at it, since they can ask for more. That was months ago but apparently there was no deal. However, they track the correct usage of your font if the company that is using it is big.
  • Options
    From what I've heard, this is a tactic often used to get foundries to sign the new contract. They do and then somehow there is no deal. Have heard it from quite a few sources that I trust, so it sounds like it's not a one-off thing. Still, it's good to hear that they are at least tracking usage properly!