MATH table in Fontlab 7

edited February 2023 in Font Technology
Hello everyone.

Is there a way to change MATH/TeX related information regarding Math Kerning (such as Italic Correction and/or Top Accent Position, etc.) for specific glyphs from Fontlab 7? I understand that there is no UI for editing MATH table information in Fontlab 7 and as noted on the app's help documents, you can use the Tables panel to do so, but I have no idea what this table should look like (syntax wise, that is).

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• You could find some help on the Fontlab forums (FL7 or FL8).
  • Oh thank you very much. Already found an answer there.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    If you open a font containing a MATH table in FL7 or FL8, then open the Tables panel, you’ll see the decompiled MATH table. It is editable, but it is basically just a big data set, and really is not conducive to editing unless you know exactly what you are looking for and where to find it. It uses glyph IDs rather than glyph names, so even finding the references you are seeking is not easy.

If you want to edit the MATH table, I recommend contacting Microsoft and requesting a copy of their MATH editor tool. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a publicly accessible distribution channel for that tool, but you could try posting an issue here.
  • There is also FontForge (which I used to develop a few math fonts myself) and GlyphsApp MATH plugin.
  • If you want to edit the MATH table, I recommend contacting Microsoft and requesting a copy of their MATH editor tool. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a publicly accessible distribution channel for that tool, but you could try posting an issue here.
    The MATH editor tool is nice as it provides a visual UI but be warned, it's clunky and contains bugs which result in the application crashing. Still, better than nothing.