Problem Using Stylistic Sets

Ashfaq NiaziAshfaq Niazi Posts: 22
edited January 2023 in Font Technology
I am trying to use some alternate shapes in my Arabic Font. I use Single Substitution using VOLT Program, but I did not succeed in using this Feature to use alternate shapes.

I attach here one character sample Font having Volt Table with a method I am trying to use in my Font. By using this sequence I am failed and alternate shapes are not showing in the applications. Surely I am doing some wrong method to implement Stylistic Alternates.

Can someone check the attached sample font and amend it, so two alternate shapes of Alif can be shown in applications to substitute them.

Is "SALT" feature also have any connection with "SSxx" feature. Does both should be present or only "SSxx" can work alone.

Comments

• Ashfaq NiaziAshfaq Niazi Posts: 22
    edited January 2023
    This is a screen shot of my one character sample font.

• The original font seems to work just fine if tested in a web browser. I can also successfully test the stylistic sets in Word, after opening and exporting the font file with FontCreator.
  • K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    SALT is redundant here, and you have two contradictory substitutions within it. You can remove it. Functionally, SALT is another set. Some applications rely on a feature AALT ("all alternates") that should consist only of calls to the other features.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    SALT is redundant here, and you have two contradictory substitutions within it. 
    I agree that the <salt> feature is redundant here—it is redundant pretty much everywhere, since it has never been as well-supported as the <ssXX> features became—, but the lookup is not contradictory. VOLT compiles such a lookup as a GSUB type 3 (one-to-one-of-many multiple substitution). That, of course, requires supporting software to provide a means to access enumerated variants, which is one of the reasons <salt> is not widely or well-supported.

• Thanks to all for detail reply. I was testing this Code on CorelDRAW 17, which i think not support Arabic Stylistic Set. But someone test it on Ver 19 and its working well.