Monotype takes too long to review fonts?

Hello Type Drawers,

I would like to know any one of you has ever experienced a delay in getting their fonts reviewed on Monotype? Mine is taking over 10 days now and no response? 

Thanks in advance!


  • Options
    K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    Where to begin, buddy. My recommendation is to wait one month to be sure they've forgotten you before bothering them about it. An outsourced chat agent will take your case, and in another week they will either launch it or tell you it's your fault.
    To publish any faster than that, you need to have no warnings from their automated checker.
  • Options
    To me it always happened that:
    - the font was approved in less than a week, and I received the typical mail that in 24 hours it will be released
    - then nothing happened until I contacted the support team (usually after 2-3 weeks)
    - their reply was fast (1-2 days), telling me that unfortunately the font stuck somewhere in the release process
    - to solve the problem at least about a week or more was needed
    - but sadly, when released, the font had the old date of when it was approved, so it didn't appear in the "What's New" section and I lost the initial little wave of visibility (except once in which I got a font in the "Staff Picks")

    All of that happened before the Monotype website's back-end changes. I mean, the support team was good, but their website had obvious problems.

    However now I haven't been able to submit a new font since last spring because of the renovation of their website.

    I still get the "500. Well, that didn’t work." page. How can you submit a new font / modify existing ones?  :o
  • Options
    Michael RafailykMichael Rafailyk Posts: 141
    edited November 2022
    I still get the "500. Well, that didn’t work." page.

    @Marco Pezzotta Today they will release an update to fix that error.

  • Options
    @Michael Rafailyk Great news! After many months I will finally be able update my foundry.
    Thank you very much for advising me :smiley:
  • Options
    Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 762
    edited April 2023
    I am about to restart posting fonts regularly there, have the old issues with the backlog and untrained (I suppose) crew been cleared? In my experience, COVID left a sort of a "tail", many institutions (at least in my homecountry) had a huge documental backlog that is only currently getting cleared. Also, is it still true that MyFonts make up the lion share of the sales for most if not all foundries? I'm a bit out of the loop.

    As an aside, I have had much work currently on custom fonts with the caveat that the client only wants "symbols that are found on a QWERTY keyboard". (Supposedly because I charge by the glyph.) So no Extended Latin, as this doesn't account for too much of the sales - compare, for example, the Czech and the US font markets. Do you tend to add Extended symbols or keep the font lean for the English Latin market? Do you profit from clients that contact you as the author so you can add local glyphs that are missing in a "lean" version? I'm sorry if the question is somewhat problematic, I just want to hear about common personal practices.
  • Options
    Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,379
    I've encountered this situation in the past, and my approach is to reassure the client that extra characters will be included during the development process but won't incur additional charges. Furthermore, these extra characters can be easily removed from the final build if desired. Nowadays, some font design applications offer the "noexport" option for glyphs, allowing you to maintain extensive language support without burdening the client.

    In my opinion, it's a good practice to include at least a few accented characters when determining vertical metrics. This proactive step can prevent potential issues down the line, as clients may later request more language support. By incorporating accented characters from the beginning, you can avoid having to alter the vertical metrics or overall scale of the typeface to accommodate these additions.

    When it comes to extending the language support for fonts, it can prove to be a profitable endeavor. If the project involves one of my retail fonts, I generally offer the service for free. In the past, when working on language extensions for other designers' fonts, I would charge an hourly rate. However, these days, I tend to avoid taking on custom projects in order to focus on other aspects of my work. 
  • Options
    Adobe is taking nearly a year to get fonts onto their system.
  • Options
    Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,654
    Wow, that's terrible. In my experience, Adobe adds fonts quarterly. If you miss the deadline for the next quarter, you have to wait another quarter. It seems to be something to do with the way their accounting/reporting/payment system works. How has that stretched to a year?
  • Options
    My understanding is Adobe only allows so many typefaces per quarter and, at the moment, they have a big backlog to get through.
  • Options
    Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,654
    I've run into that, too, when submitting largish families. Sometimes they hold some styles for the next quarter. I don't really understand why it's necessary.

    (Also, sorry for taking this somewhat off-topic.)
  • Options
    @Mark Simonson yes, it is really terrible. I submitted new fonts February 2nd and Adobe release September - December. 

    @James Hultquist-Todd thanks for the explanation.
Sign In or Register to comment.