Options

Artificial Intelligence generated letters

2»

Comments

• Options
    Alex VisiAlex Visi Posts: 185
    edited December 2022
    Cool, finally people will stop waste time making those poorly made free fonts by hand! Monotype should take notes
  • Options
    jeremy tribbyjeremy tribby Posts: 217
    edited December 2022
    most of what I see AI changing meaningfully for fonts themselves is the amount garbage consumers will have to wade through to find a decent one. I'm open to being wrong, I just don't see it, for a variety of reasons. I don't know if it will hurt the industry either, custom fonts are often commissioned for reasons very unrelated to the actual deliverable
  • Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,146
    The facile profusion of content that AI can make is apparent in all the MidJourney examples posted in social media.
    But we already have a profusion of fonts, since 1001 free fonts, which has become 73,000 free fonts (at latest count) and the Monotype empire.
  • Options

Monotype AI Code of Ethics

How Does Monotype Leverage AI.

Artificial intelligence models can be trained on large datasets of fonts and their properties, as well as how these fonts can be used in various design contexts. For example, if a document contains many technical terms, the model can make recommendations that are well-suited to displaying technical information.

Preserving the Human Nature of Our Industry.

Monotype is committed to protecting the intellectual property of typography designers globally. As such, we will not use fonts from our distribution partners to train AI to design new fonts.

Does this sound contradictory to you?

• Options
    @Enrico Sogari  Not necessarily, as they already own a pretty large database of type they could use for model training. Not nearly as huge as every typeface on myfonts, but probably enough.
  • Options
    Doesn’t sound contradictory. As I understand it, they would use AI systems to recommend fonts based on document type, but would not use AI to generate new fonts based on ‘distributon partner’ fonts.