Options

FONTLAB GLYPH RECOGNITION

Hi there, this is my first message on this platform, nice to meet all of you. If you use FontLab, can you help me with this issue? I am currently in the process of designing a non-Latin typeface which is the Ge'ez script, however, when I strike the key on my keyboard for the glyph I intend to preview, FontLab does nothing. As if I never hit the key. What could be the issue? This is not an issue in the Glyphsapp, the letters are displayed when I type in the keys. 

***I am using the Mac computer Amharic keyboard and also keyman made available on SIL.org with the same results, nothing happened.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,748
    What exact version of FontLab are you running? (I don’t know the answer to your problem, but if you are running some ancient version of the app, that might have something to do with it.)
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,977
    Also, what platform and what Ge‘ez keyboard?
  • Options
    RaphRalphRaphRalph Posts: 2
    Hi, sorry for the delayed response as I just returned from a long trip. I am using the latest Fontlab on the MacBook (FontLab 7). The Keyboards I am using are the MacBook Geez keyboard (accessed in system preferences) and the Keyman geez keyboard. As of yet, none of them work on the Fontlab software which is puzzling because they work on the Glyphsapp just fine. 
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,977
    Check individual Geʽez glyphs in FontLab to see whether they have Unicode values correctly assigned. In Glyphs, glyph-to-character encoding mapping is handled externally to the individual font project, in the GlyphData.xml file. In FontLab, encodings are stored internally in the font project. There are various ways in which encodings can be automatically assigned to characters based on glyph name mappings, for which FontLab provides ‘standard’ list as well as algorithmically deriving encodings from uniXXXX names, and you can also define custom mappings in a .nam file.

What names are you using for your 
    Geʽez glyphs? Are they uniXXXX form names, or are they Glyphs names? If the latter, then you might need to define a .nam mapping file for those names.