Applications without OpenType feature support

Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,235
edited February 8 in Font Technology
Something I run into all the time is a customer trying to use a font with OpenType features in an application that doesn't support it. I usually search font "(application name) OpenType support" and sift through forum posts but it's hard to know for sure without installing the app and testing it. I'm starting this thread to list the applications I know of that don't have basic OpenType feature support. If you know of any application with no OpenType support, please add them to this thread.

By basic OpenType support, I mean contextual alternates (calt) and kerning (kern). This should be based on the current version of the app.

Here's what I've got so far:
  • AutoCad
  • GIMP
  • Sketchup
  • SolidWorks
Tagged:

Comments

• As far as online 'design tools' go, 
    • Canva doesn't support Opentype Features ( drives me nuts, get so many queries about this) , but hopefully this will change as the demand increases. Figma seems to support Opentype though - its a collaborative online design tool, up and coming. 

Desktop Apps :
    • Powerpoint doesn't seem to support Opentype features. Odd because MS word does.
    • Photoshop Elements doesn't either.
  • AutoCAD doesn't even support kerning. 
  • GIMP (2.10.28, Windows 10) supports calt, liga and kern, although offers no control over those features.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,483
    • Powerpoint doesn't seem to support Opentype features. Odd because MS word does.
    Powerpoint is an oddity in the MS app library: it was originally ported from a Mac app that MS bought, and its code is entirely independent of the rest of the MS Office suite. It is truly terrible software, but so widely used that MS can’t easily replace it.
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,491
    Speaking of presentation software, Apple Keynote supports calt, liga, and kern (on by default, only liga can be turned off), but other OT features are buggy or missing.
  • Florian PircherFlorian Pircher Posts: 147
    edited February 11
    You can access the other features by choosing Format Font Show Fonts (⌘T) → ⋯⃝ → Typography. Not all features, but common stuff like sub/superscript or style sets are available. The Glyph Variants at the bottom of the palette, however, never worked reliably for me.

• Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,235
    Does anyone know if Canva supports OpenType calt/kern for OTF/TTF uploads? I'd prefer not to make an account to find out.
  • RichardWRichardW Posts: 100
    Are there any supported browsers that support features and use DirectWrite (on Windows) to generate the glyph stream from the character stream?
  • Does anyone know if Canva supports OpenType calt/kern for OTF/TTF uploads? I'd prefer not to make an account to find out.
    Canva doesn't support any Opentype Features at all. Been trying to get hold of someone over there to make a suggestion....but requests to be pointed in the right direction land on deaf ears, I suspect I have to be more clever about how I go about it - but have bigger fish to fry right now :( Will keep trying when I have time to twiddle thumbs again.
  • edited February 14
    TextEdit of MacOS can at least show all features supported by a specific font and allows to turn them on or off. I only use this to explore it and render specimens.

ImageMagick version 6 definitely has no support for features. But there seem to be projects to improve it. This means just support the parameters and hand-over to the underlying libraries (Freetype, Pango).
  • Free/OSS apps with imperfect but generally improving support for OT features include Inkscape and Scribus. One quirk of Inkscape is that certain less common features (such as SWSH) are accessible only by typing in the feature tag in all lowercase (“swsh”). Last I checked, neither Inkscape nor Scribus have anything like a glyph palette.

Every few years or so I get around to toying with LyX as well, to check if its OT support finally offers something sufficiently unique to justify learning all its attendant bollocks.

The holy grail for me would be to finally have a working Latin script JALT implementation, something like what Simon cryptically demonstrates here. Ideally also tying into a width axis. Scribus is the closest thing I’ve seen short of subscribing to InDesign.
  • RichardWRichardW Posts: 100
    One quirk of Inkscape is that certain less common features (such as SWSH) are accessible only by typing in the feature tag in all lowercase (“swsh”).
    Feature names are case sensitive, and I rather suspect that the vast majority of standard-compliant unregistered feature names would be accepted by most renderers with an appropriate interface.

• Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 641
    edited February 16
    Kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned Adobe Creative Cloud, which has questionable shaping for Arabic and Indic scripts and doesn't support a quarter of GSUB lookup types. (Joking/not joking.)
  • K PeaseK Pease Posts: 174
    Clip Studio Paint has no feature support at all. It is understandable that a Japanese product would not pay very much attention to the peculiarities of Western type, but the program has become popular with cartoonists, and many are disappointed that they can't use the glyph cycling in the comic fonts they buy.

Even though MS Word proper supports liga, WordPad does not. This came up today.