Subcontractor/Supplier licensing
Miles Newlyn
Posts: 281
How usual is it for a custom font license for a large organisation to include distribution of the font to suppliers for use in work relating to the licensee?
I would like to include this right in a license, but am running into problems concerning liability. The licensee does not want to be liable for their distributors, and I don't see a way to have the distributors agree to the license terms unless I build a custom part of my website for that.
I've seen license wording such as "You must ensure that any Subcontractor has read and agreed to the terms of this Agreement before receiving the Fonts" but this places a large degree of liability on the licensee, and in real world terms in not workable.
I would like to include this right in a license, but am running into problems concerning liability. The licensee does not want to be liable for their distributors, and I don't see a way to have the distributors agree to the license terms unless I build a custom part of my website for that.
I've seen license wording such as "You must ensure that any Subcontractor has read and agreed to the terms of this Agreement before receiving the Fonts" but this places a large degree of liability on the licensee, and in real world terms in not workable.
0
Comments
-
Nothing is either common nor uncommon in fonts. I'd be happy to explain how I handle this but am suffering from knitters' elbow and can't do a lot of typing today. Call me?0
-
Thank you @JoyceKetterer for helping me with this. x0
-
@Miles Newlyn You're right that it's rarely workable for licensees needing wide-scale distribution, but there are solutions for small-scale (e.g. freelancers, contractors, small agencies). That said, I can only give the buyer-side perspective… not seller-side.0
Categories
- All Categories
- 47 Introductions
- 4K Typeface Design
- 496 Type Design Critiques
- 589 Type Design Software
- 1.1K Type Design Technique & Theory
- 674 Type Business
- 903 Font Technology
- 29 Punchcutting
- 543 Typography
- 128 Type Education
- 333 Type History
- 82 Type Resources
- 114 Lettering and Calligraphy
- 33 Lettering Critiques
- 81 Lettering Technique & Theory
- 577 Announcements
- 101 Events
- 116 Job Postings
- 174 Type Releases
- 185 Miscellaneous News
- 270 About TypeDrawers
- 54 TypeDrawers Announcements
- 114 Suggestions and Bug Reports

