Any thoughts about Creative Fabrica?

Somebody from Creative Fabrica reach me to add my work on their website. It was the first time I heard about that distributor. May I have your thoughts about them? Thank you in advance

Comments

• edited October 2021
    "Spotify" model in world of fonts :)

CreativeFabrica had a separate category "Color fonts", then I found it as a good place to sell my OpenTypeSVG fonts.

they put a lot of emphasis on subscription, so it's getting harder and harder to sell a font if there is an ad for a $1 subscription next to them.

Good place if you believe in the future of the subscription model
  • I've been selling there for a while.  Yeah, they make their money off subscriptions, no argument.  But I've been doing pretty well there, and if you do more than just fonts, it's a great way to have a knock on effect: I have a lot of people buying my clipart designs just because they've purchased my fonts in the past.

YMMV, but there are worse places out there.
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,183
    I use it for distributing my free fonts and I make a couple of bucks on referrals. Their traffic is impressive.
  • Thank you all of you for sharing your thoughts.
  • They've been emailing me about once a week asking me to "join as a designer". I've realised two fonts in my life and they're both rubbish. They've obviously been trawling dafonts, and they're behaving like spammers.
  • They've been emailing me about once a week asking me to "join as a designer".
    Yes. Same here. I finally added their address to my junk mail filters.

From what I can tell, they target hobbyists, crafters, and people looking for inexpensive fonts and clip-art sorts of graphics. This is fine, but I have nothing to sell that fits that description, making me wonder how I ended up on their mailing list.
  • Hm... I have lots of stuff to sell to that crowd :)
  • Speaking of Monotype and weird downmarket storefronts, Monotype is selling ten fonts for $5 in the Microsoft Windows Store as a “Christmas” font pack, including some rather well-made newer designs like Hesse Antiqua and the recent Walbaum and Sachsenwald revivals.

When you purchase and download them, they get copied into a hidden and “protected” Windows Store apps folder that cannot be accessed or browsed without jumping through a series of insultingly Orwellian security hoops, making it difficult to back them up or check out their extra unencoded glyphs and features in FontLab. I doubt anyone connected with designing or building these actual fonts has the least inkling what the Windows Store does with them.
  • The Store fonts are located in the hidden C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder.
    Then the "package name". In my case:
    MonotypeImagingInc.MonotypeChristmasFontPack_1.0.0.0_neutral__776bkhgfrgb7p

You need to take ownership of the WindowsApps folder to get there.

WinAero makes an easy to use utility to do this.
  • John ButlerJohn Butler Posts: 33
    Thanks, Mike, I took ownership manually and was able to back up the purchase.