A Grand Romance

Hello everybody, 

I've been going through some of the typefaces I feel drawn to and I've realized that there's some finesse lacking in my collection. I enjoy setting some text in Granjon but I have come to understand some of the criticism directed towards it - all those claims of it being anaemic, anorexic, feeble. 

Leaving aside the usual suspects when it comes to signify typographical sophistication (Bodonis, Didots...), what is one left with when trying to convey some drama and, above all, romance? `

I would definitely get rid of the cute category, which I actually love, (Archer); the admittedly precious and refined (Mrs. Eaves) and the aforementioned Granjon.

Robert Bringhurst’s system of categorization (Baroque, Neoclassical, Mannerist…) seems extremely insightful to me. The problem is that beautiful, graceful typography has become somehow stale and reduced to a handful of types with a serious case of overuse.

Vogue magazine uses Sabon for some of its online content. It is indeed beautiful, but I wonder if there's another typeface that is better suited to convey that kind of grand, romantic, time-honored mood.  

Could someone please enlighten me and suggest a few typefaces that may play the (graceful) part? 

Thanks to everybody for the time, effort and patience.

Comments

• konrad ritterkonrad ritter Posts: 154
    I'd recommend the soon-to-come out Parnaso Text, by Mr Feliciano; or the more unusual Fourniers, e.g. Vizille (by Thierry Gouttenegre) or Helvetius (by Mathieu Cortat, now at 205TF). Speaking of Mr Cortat, his Louize is also a romance-friendly face. 
  • It is indeed a gorgeous typeface and surely the perfect one for certain kind of jobs. However, I guess my message was somehow misleading, as I actually meant text faces that tend to have a certain aura of romance about them. Bodonis, Didots, even Baskerville ones are good as they are but, above all, I am looking for the unappreciated, unsung gems that surely deserve a closer look before being discarded.

I have seen Sabon characterized as having a romantic feel about it and it is probably used for a good reason in some of Vogue magazine online texts.

So, forgive me for not having formulated well my former question. I will rephrase my question again. I am looking for text faces without too many flourishes and unnecessary ornamentation but that somehow manage to convey a sense of typography in past centuries: gentle, rounded forms (Granjon comes to mind, but it is indeed a bit too light) and a general feeling of beauty.

Forgive me if my former message wasn't clear enough in its purpose.

Thanks for your time, help, effort and patience.
  • Hrant H. PapazianHrant H. Papazian Posts: 1,864
    edited April 10
    Ah, OK. Well there are a ton of those... Maybe check out MVB's library. Others can give you much better recommendations I'm sure.