Two brief information on some glyphs

mauro sacchettomauro sacchetto Posts: 353
edited July 2020 in Font Technology
These are two different questions, but both refer to the shape of some glyphs.
1) The U+0192 glyph is qualified as small letter /f with hook and as florin. But the first is a normal roman glyph, the second should be all italic. In fact in various fonts the rendering is different, in some precisely a /f roman with hook, in others all italic. What is the correct rendering in roman/regular?
2) Does it make sense to produce the small cap version of glyphs like U+0221, U+0235 and U+1EFF, i.e. /d and /t with hook and /y with loop?
Thank you

Comments

• For your first question, this would partially depend on which languages you intend to support. Unless your font includes all the other characters necessary for the African languages which use this character, it’s highly unlikely that it would be used as anything other than a currency symbol. If you want an italic florin, but intend to support African languages, you're going to have to provide two versions using the locl feature.

As for your second question, as far as I know these glyphs are only used in conjunction with phonetic transcription of Chinese. Since IPA and its variants are unicameral and make use of petite caps to represent a variety of distinct sounds, small caps wouldn't make much sense.
  • I don't support here African languages ,so I'll use the florin currency symbol.
    Ok, for my second question now is all clear.
    Thank you very much