Options

Extinct Caslons?

2»

Comments

• Options
    konrad ritterkonrad ritter Posts: 200
    It's a wonderful thing. I'm in awe at the craft and talent that goes into making something good like that. Having messed around in Fontlab for a few years now, all I've learned is, how hard it is to make something good. I think I'm becoming a professional appreciator. It's all I can aspire to. 

The domineering gentleman-figure that towered over my early years was the late Clifford Truesdell. Made Pearce Williams look like a demure, unassuming maiden by comparison. 
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,977
    edited May 2020
    Speaking of extinct Caslons, I see that Gerald Giampa's digital revival of Lanston's Caslon Oldstyle 337 is apparently still available from P22. Somewhere on an old drive I must still have copies of the PS Type 1 fonts that I licensed from Gerald in the mid-90s. It was also too light and spindly, but I think Gerald mostly printed it letterpress from polymer plates, for which it was better suited.
  • Options
    John NolanJohn Nolan Posts: 46
    What I'd like to know is what I did with the large promo Gerald printed for his Caslon...I know it's here somewhere!
  • Options
    John NolanJohn Nolan Posts: 46
    Ah! Found it: "The Fount. Volume 1, Issue 1". Pretty sure there was no issue 2.
  • Options
    There's also this little known little one:
    https://www.fonthaus.com/fonts/vintagetype/Cuala_Caslon/VT10006
    It's the "Irish Caslon," as it were. 

Unfortunately, I think it was digitized from an under-inked source. I saw a sample that looks better, and would have made for a better source for reviving it. 
    https://digital.library.villanova.edu/Item/vudl:2107#?c=&m=&s=&cv=1&xywh=-1270%2C3262%2C6174%2C2284

• Options
    Here are showings for the 8 and 10 point cuts:
    I wish ITC had bought the rights from him for these two. They're really good. I can't believe they were allowed to go lost forever. It's crazy.