Problem with new font websites

Hello everyone,

I have created some fonts and posted demo versions of these ones on Fontspace and Dafont. But with time new font websites have see the day and owners of these websites don't hesitate to download the demo I posted on Fontspace and Dafont to upload it on their own website without asking me. I first thought it was nice because this would give some visibility but this is horrible to manage, I don't have any account there so I cant update the files. I created an account on one of these websites to see if I can manage my fonts, well... I get a brand new account with zero fonts, and no way to declare these are mine. I tryed to contact the websites owners to ask them to delete my fonts from their website but it seems they just ignoring me. So now I have outdated demo fonts & license files running everywhere on these new font websites and my clients are sometimes confused when they contact me in their emails.

What can I do to delete my outdated demo files from these new font websites? What can I do to no happen again with my next fonts? I was thinking to write a message in the demo folder that say "Do not upload this demo font on other websites without the consent of its owner"

Thanks.

Comments

• Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    Dafont is essentially a distribution hub for most free font sites. If you release a free font there it will quickly propagate to all free font sites so you should plan on never being able to put the genie back into the bottle. I had to recall a single font about a decade ago and it took me almost month, full time to reduce it to 6 sites. I've been working on it over the years, taking it down from a few sites (Checks Google) and now it's on dozens of sites again. It's practically impossible and you'll encounter a lot of sites that make every effort not to be contacted. My advice is to lean into it.
  • At least that's a good lesson, I'll be more careful next time.