Crypt type

Some of you may have seen this on Twitter recently: "Something old but surprisingly modern in development". 
I have been developing it further; making the Thin weight more condensed to fit with the style of the inscription, and a couple of extra weights, a Regular and Bold. There was some comments about the style of the G and g, so I produced an alternate style for those, (original style on the left, 2nd image), but having lived with it for a while now I am quite used to the original style and I think it fits perfectly.
Any comments regarding style, proportions etc?

Comments

• Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 915
    edited October 23
    What about an alternate /g with the same structure as the original, but the bowl goes down to the baseline (or at least the descender goes as deep as /p/q/y)? It's maybe the depth of it more than the unconventional structure that my eye gets hung up on.
  • I usually love all of your work, but it seems something was "missed" in your redesign and digitization, I find it too "regularized" and cold, while the original is very warm.
    This kind of curves can be very tricky, as they can be mistaken – this goes for superelliptical forms as well. And I would definitely keep just the original /g or at best a one-storey /g, dropping your usual lovely "hallmark" /g which here seems a bit out of place. :-)
  • Also, /m feels too wide and the boldest /w too cramped.
  • Theunis de JongTheunis de Jong Posts: 97
    edited October 24
    The only other descender in the original, the /p, is very modest. Could that be a reason for that short /g? (Which I like, by the way.)

If you agree then the other descenders might need following suit.
  • George ThomasGeorge Thomas Posts: 508
    edited October 24
    In metal I have seen a similar /g and short descenders in fonts which were cast large on the body. It's different, but I like it.
  • What about an alternate /g with the same structure as the original, but the bowl goes down to the baseline (or at least the descender goes as deep as /p/q/y)? It's maybe the depth of it more than the unconventional structure that my eye gets hung up on.
    I think that idea for the alternate /g works better Craig. The first alt /g I created wasn't very successful and didn't really fit in. Original /g in Hedwig, new alt in Gatterburg. I also widened the Bold /w.