I am posting this here even if it might be a FontLab VI related question because I am not sure whether it’s a naming problem or a glitch.
I am currently planning a naming scheme for a family I am designing and I started with two weights, one aimed at textsetting in small sizes (8-10pt) and another aimed at mid-range titling (about 36pt).
When I created the files I used the scheme I post below. For the titling version I used "TL" and for the text one "TX". But when I test the fonts in Pages only one shows up.
Eventually I will be adding condensed and compressed versions, for which I wished to follow a scheme like:
- Typeface Compressed TL Regular
- Typeface Compressed TL Bold
Do you have any idea on why they do not show up? Sorry for the newbie question but often I am still fairly unfamiliar with even the basic technical issues.
@Rafael: Thanks, but I have the impression it’s not a Fontlab problem, rather of how I named them, or the name table (of which I am completely ignorant). Waiting for some help… :-(
The abbreviations are not arbitrary, at least in my intention. I have toyed for years with the idea of abbreviations because they are shorter. Clearly they are not explanatory as full names would be.
Nonetheless, "Heading", "Headline", "Titling" and "Display" seem also to be used in a somewhat arbitrary way, so I am checking the meaning of the words across languages to see what satisfies me.
The recent discussion about terminology for the basic weights ("Regular" vs. "Normal" or "Book") is indeed very interesting.
But I do have a MacBook which probably supports it, I wish to keep the OSs as much consistent as possible through devices, though.