Options

Printer recommendations for proofing?

124»

Comments

• Options
    There is an experimental laboratory of high technology in San Serriffe islands. NASA uses it when their own resources were exhausted.
  • Options
    Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,394
    I am interested to see if eInk screens can replace paper for proofing...
  • Options
    I use whatever in-progress text typeface I’m working on as the default on my Kindle, so, kinda?
  • Options
    Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,394
    Do you load proof PDFs on it?
  • Options
    JLAJLA Posts: 8
    I use whatever in-progress text typeface I’m working on as the default on my Kindle, so, kinda?
    Glad I’m not the only one. It’s a good way to test a font in different kinds of context (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, etc.).

PDFs don’t render particularly well on my Kindle. Copying the font files to the device gives you more flexibility, too, since you can adjust size, line height, and render style (boldness) as needed.
  • Options
    No, just whatever I happen to be reading. That way I can see it an everyday context.
  • Options
    Yves MichelYves Michel Posts: 155
    I'm also using my Kindle to test my fonts but only on Kindle books. And in different languages (French, English, Italian), Which is interesting.
  • Options
    jeremy tribbyjeremy tribby Posts: 219
    edited April 23
    If I had to choose a printer (or whatever else) for proofing.. I won't choose the best one.
    Instead I will choose the average one, or the most popular one among my typical clientele.
    If you choose the best one it will look great to you, but you wont know how it looks to your clients on their less than ideal equipment. Unless all your clients are top notch, of course.

In a ideal world, I will buy 3... a cheap one, and average one, an a top one.
    So wen you print, you can evaluate for compromises.
    I briefly went this route on two printers after I upgraded from a brother 2460 (emulated postscript) to a phaser 6510 (adobe postscript). that brother model is one of the bestselling printers on amazon in the US, so it's probably a decent representation of what's out there in the wild. the problem is, there weren't many great compromises to make, it's almost like you'd have to have two fonts, especially since you're considering screens as well
  • Options
    Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,403
    I wonder if the day is not far when type designers buying printers to test how their fonts will look will be the only people buying printers.