Which g?

Which italic g is most suited to accompany the Roman at the top? I know which I favour but I'd like to see what others think.

Comments

• Personally, I prefer the second italic <g>.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    2nd

• The second one, definitely.
  • #2 or #3 of the italic, in that order.
  • Second one, unless your "f" does not descend, then the first one (and a binocular "a").
  • I think I prefer the third, but the second is also very good.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,946
    Most suited to accompany that roman g? Well, only italic #1 has the same kind of awkwardness. :smile:
  • I like #2, it fits the fun italic feeling best.
  • 2nd.
    I will also straighten the curve on the top of the /t, I find it distracting. Or at least make it much more subtle.
  • #1 is most suited 
    #2 is most beautiful
    #3 my favorite
  • I'd first try to reconcile the Roman /g a bit more with its peers before worrying about the italic. It's a charming shape, but it feels out of place to me. All other letters seem to have a more generous relation to horizontal space.
  • I think the upright "g" only needs a stronger ear.
  • Though 4 doesn't complement the roman I think it's pretty sweet, different.  
  • 2nd. It follows the same simplifying transformation as the /a.
  • I would say #3 looks best as a single letter, but in the whole word #2 works better. #1 seems too different to /a in my opinion.
  • Thanks everyone. I'm glad most were in favour of #2, that's what I wanted to hear. Regarding the Roman g; I had an earlier iteration which I changed to the one above to make it more distinctive. The top image shows the 'awkward' g and very curved t top, while the bottom shows the earlier g with a less severe t curve. I wanted the t to be different and recognisable, but definitely not distracting/annoying.
  • Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited November 2017
    I find both the /g and /t better integrated in the bottom sample.

The /g and /o look lighter than the /n and /r, for example, though in the case of /g it might be a deliberate measure to avoid clumping.

In both samples, the /ngra/ cluster is much more tightly spaced than /lated/. Actually, I'm wondering whether the top /g would look more harmonious if it were just spaced a little wider.
  • edited November 2017
    The "g" in the second setting is entirely forgettable. It look like TNR's on Monday morning.
  • I find both the /g and /t better integrated in the bottom sample.

The /g and /o look lighter than the /n and /r, for example, though in the case of /g it might be a deliberate measure to avoid clumping.

In both samples, the /ngra/ cluster is much more tightly spaced than /lated/. 
    I agree with all this. Cap C also looks light. 
  • I thought you'd chime in with your contrariness :) but that is what I thought too. I thought the original (bottom) one was nice but maybe a little dull. Now I think the top one just needs to be a bit wider with a bit more space around it and a bit more weight in places:
  • Yes, that's much better!

There's still the problem of the gravity well sitting somewhere around the /g/r boundary that appears to be pulling the letters close and thinning out the outer regions.
  • Here are the rest of the lower case itals:
  • And Display and Text styles:

• It's all rather loose.
  • It's all rather loose.
    Especially the "display" style. I think it's perfect for the "text" style, though. The problem I see is that the serifs on the "display" style are causing the loose spacing, in combinations such as /in/, /fr/, etc. Maybe they could be shortened in that style?

I think the eye on the /e could be opened up a bit more on the "text" style since it will tend to vanish at smaller sizes with the weight you've added.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,946
    Nick, what's your thinking for the elbow of the roman g sticking out so far to the left?
  • Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited November 2017
    The display style seems to exaggerate the imbalances of weight that I mentioned for the text style. For instance, /a feels very dark and /o/c/s very light.

I like the italics! The /j might benefit from a big more backbone.

Yes, the Roman is a big on the wide side, but I see that as a design feature. I'd file it in the Mrs Eaves category.
  • Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 723
    edited November 2017
    [Removed] I had opinions about this and then went and looked at Bembo. You’re fine.
  • In your initial sample, the cursive "g"s are poorly spaced (the "gr" gap is big). I like your awkward g in the roman and I would keep the binocular structure in the italic but make it less odd, more Bembo-like.  
  • Here are the rest of the lower case itals:
    It's hard to judge because of the suboptimal spacing. Gaps "ga" in "gave" and "qu" in "questionable" are distressing. "ve" in "twelve" also. The shapes are nice though.