Registering foundry code with Microsoft

2»

Comments

• @Florian Hardwig

I just noticed that you'd disagreed with my post, but you didn't post any actual corrections. If you have more accurate information on the pedigree of Akizdenz Grotesk, I'd appreciate it.

André
  • BTW, FYI for anyone trying to access the page, it has been restored. 
    Yes. I did mention it to Microsoft's support twitter account, I think it was a bot though, because after explaining it 3 times it asked me to send a direct message "to investigate more"!

Then I remembered the email I had from the person who does the registration and I sent an email to him, I like to think that it did the trick eventually :)
  • André G. Isaak, I didn’t post a reply because it has nothing to do with the topic of registering a foundry code with Microsoft.
    Some of the styles were from Theinhardt (which Berthold had acquired), some by Schelter & Giesecke
    Please see Eckehart SchumacherGebler’s article “Ferdinand Theinhardt, die Akzidenz-Grotesk und die sächsische Großmutter der Helvetica” in Tino Graß: Schriftgestalten (2008) and Indra Kupferschmid’s blog posts on the history of Akzidenz-Grotesk, part 1 (2012) and part 2 (2017, together with Dan Reynolds). Also, Wikipedia. In a nutshell, there is no convincing proof that Theinhardt had anything to do with AG. I am curious about the source for your claim that some styles of AG stem from S&G.
  • In the past I tried several times and never got an answer. I will re apply now to see what happen.
  • Thanks, Florian, for the links.

I actually cannot recall where I first encountered the claim that S&G played a role in the development of Akzidenz Grotesk, but a quick web search reveals that I'm not the only one under this impression (though that of course doesn't confirm that the impression is correct).

http://showinfo.rietveldacademie.nl/akzidenz-grotesk/

André
  • @Ramiro Espinoza Let me know if you don't get a reply. I know some people :)
  • I added my foundry code back in the 90's when there were only a few. I am so glad I did because when your foundry name is "Type Associates" you would want to be sure that nobody else scored TYPE before you ever had the chance. I couldn't believe my luck. Apart from that I don't know that it has been of much benefit, the details that accompany the code are out of date and I am yet to find a remedy.
  • I'm surprised your email requesting updates didn't get a reply. Please feel free to forward it to me and I'll talk to the font team. simonda@microsoft.com