Council for German Orthography officially allows use of u+1E9E

123457»

Comments

• donat raetzodonat raetzo Posts: 43
    Hi Donat,
    the serif looks good to me overall, but the transition from stem to arch is still a bit unnatural. Check out the /U/ for reference.

done!

Sans is much better, but most versions are still a bit potbellied (upper Regular seems fine). For the others, tuck the lower curve in to align it visually with the top corner («vertical stacking»), but without narrowing the bottom gap.

instead of moving the bowl inwards, i moved out the diagonal a bit to match with its alternative. I have also taken the curve from U.

Additionally, the Sans Bold is much too wide.

done. at the expense of the gap though.

many thanks, christian!
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,863
    ...there are very few characters with so many variants possible in the same font, as Eszett!

😛

you say it, john. i got so confused over it, i kept carry on and made an orangeville :-)

• Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,366

(Or maybe the terms should be rectangular/half-domed/domed instead, that's more instantly descriptive.)
    +1 !!!
  • Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,896
    edited June 7
    Hoi Donat,
    it's very irritating that your answers are hidden in the block quote, it always takes some detective work to find it.
    Serif is done, as far as I'm concerned.
    In the Sans Regular, the second Dresden is perfect. I would ditch the first Dresden; it's just worse than the second one, and the second one plays well with both /S/ designs.
    In the Sans Bold, the second Dresden is also better than the first, but it's still a bit... brutal? I would calm down the right-hand structure further, open the gap, and narrow the whole thing. I think part of the problem is that it's too black in the right-hand structure; some optical compensation might help.
    The Bold Frankfurt is much too busy and wide IMHO; try compressing the right-hand structure into half its current horizontal space.
    (For comparison: My «triumphant Frankfurt» example from the infographic above.
    done. at the expense of the gap though.
    Why, though?

hello christian,

sorry for my text edit, i am not that familiar with using this interface. i intended to answer point by point but can't place the cursor outside the box once i started typing. 

great, thanks, i like the antiqua, too.

light sans (leipzig): yes, both variations became nearly identical and i now agree in using the lower bowl terminal for both styles. i hung on the idea it should relate to the S.

bold sans: i shortened the bowl terminal. both is addressed, slicker right structure and wider gap. further i adjusted the diagonal. by moving the top right corner very slightly inwards but mainly shifted the middle part outwards. it matches the light now (same angle) and got calmer. the bowl is two units slimmer, but the straight parts are notably corrected.

grotesk (frankfurt): is based on my sans drawings, with optical corrections (mainly shifting the diagonal inwards). further compressing the right-hand structure does not appeal me that much. blunt? 
    as you may have seen, my intention for alternative design found its way into the "grotesk" scheme now, having orangeville :-)

thank you!!

• Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,896
    Those all look great now. Good job!

The only thing that stands out to me now is the optical illusion in the Orangevilles that makes the roof appear to slope up into a spike on the right edge. It’s really hard to avoid, to the point where I recommend a domed Dresden with an extremely high upper right corner as an alternative. (Cf my solution for Ysabeau.)
    Those all look great now. Good job!

The only thing that stands out to me now is the optical illusion in the Orangevilles that makes the roof appear to slope up into a spike on the right edge. It’s really hard to avoid, to the point where I recommend a domed Dresden with an extremely high upper right corner as an alternative. (Cf my solution for Ysabeau.)
    i figure if one aspires orangeville, the flat roof on cap height is a must. seeking for optical correction by lowering the top right corner calls for a curve (with overshot) which leads back to a (very shallow) dresden model, as you say it. (the middle one).

thank you for your support, christian!