Weird Windows 10 font issue: installs fine, previews fine, defaults to Arial in Word

Hi all –

Is Windows 10 goofy with TTFs in some way? I am testing out a font I hinted but I'm getting a wacky issue. The font installs fine. It looks correct in the small preview of an Explorer window of the Fonts directory. It is correct in the small drop-down font selection preview in Word. Type with it, though, and you get Arial. Never seen anything like this before.

The font passes validation (including rasterization). I deleted the font cache and restarted. impallari.com show it fine. There are zero issues with it working properly on the Mac side.

Any ideas? I am stumped. I have diffed with properly working files pre-hints and the only differences are:

- a few glyph list changes, making glyf, loca, and UnicodeRange & ulCodePageRange diffs in OS/2
- checksum and date modified in head

(besides the obvious diffs one would create due to hinting in VDMX, LTSH, gasp, hdmx, prep, fpgm, cvt, maxp)

Thanks for any thoughts...
Micah

Comments

• Other random things I have tried:
    fsType in OS/2 to Installable, Editable, etc
    different versions of the OS/2 table (3, 4)
  • Latest test: using the "Ship Font" function in VTT instead of deleting the TSI tables by hand (my usual workflow). No luck.
  • My guess is the changes in UnicodeRange & ulCodePageRange may be responsible for the behaviour.
  • SiDanielsSiDaniels Posts: 277
    Jens is probably right. Word is likely deciding it doesn't support Latin when you start typing. Happy to take a look if you want to send it my way. Cheers, Si
  • Well, wouldn't you know it: ulCodePageRange was wrong in the new files. I wonder if Glyphs introduced that error when I was subsetting there...? Strange. I'll see if I can duplicate it.

Thanks very much, gentlemen. Enjoy your weekends.
  • Hin-Tak LeungHin-Tak Leung Posts: 359
    edited January 2017
    Hmm, but font validator checks ulCodePageRange, about bits set and missing glyphs and also bits clear but glyphs present. Did the warnings not happen?
  • For checking and altering also the consistency checker of OTM can be used.
  • Hmm, but font validator checks ulCodePageRange, about bits set and missing glyphs and also bits clear but glyphs present. Did the warnings not happen?
    Hm, interestingly, I don't think it threw a warning... I'll recheck later tomorrow and get back to you.