Options

Extra nodes / generating font from Fontlab

Hi, I'm having some issues with exporting a font from Fontlab whereby when the font is outlined in illustrator there are a lot of extra nodes/points added. Can someone explain why this is happening? If the curves aren't drawn accurately enough or is it some setting on generating the font?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    If you export as TrueType, outlining is Illustrator converts the paths to postscript and that means it has to add nodes. 
  • Options
    Ah right, thanks! 
  • Options
    AbiRasheedAbiRasheed Posts: 238
    edited July 2016
    @Georg Seifert Never realised why until you mentioned it, that makes a lot of sense now, learnt something today. Curious though, how do you get around to it in order to make sure illustrator doesn't do that or is this not possible given TTF relies on quadratic beziers? I did some reading and stumbled upon a few discussions in this forum but just didn't understand what the solution was. Just to be sure I looked up a few TTF font files and nearly all of them had a truckload of points compared to OTF in Ai. 
  • Options
    @Georg Seifert I'm quite a technical nitwit so I was bashing my head over this issue in one of my typefaces: Thanks, the only tiny misalignments now come from rendering!

(It also seems that the failure to export to OTF [the reason why I used TTF anyway] for the problematic typeface was a software related issue, not related to the font, so now even that problem is gone)