Luxembourgish & Adobe Latin 5

This question may be best answered by Thomas, but I thought I’d post it generally and see what else might come of it.

Why is support for Luxembourgish listed with Adobe Latin 5 but not any of the smaller sets? According to the spreadsheet that Thomas provided with his blog post about the Adobe Extended Latin sets, it seems that this support hinges on the unencoded mcircumflex and ncircumflex characters. But I haven’t been able to find any documentation on the role or necessity of these characters in this language, not in any of the usual places.

Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Comments

• Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    My source at the time (2008) was almost certainly http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?lang=lb+Luxembourgian&imgonly=on&script=latin

From the note now at the bottom of that page, it looks like the m̂ and n̂ are no longer considered necessary. So, one could reasonably not worry about them now.

Adobe now uses combining accents and not precomposed forms for such things, so for them the point is somewhat moot; they will get support for the combined forms automatically. This may be true for other folks as well.
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Right, I’d forgotten to check eki.ee. Silly me.

Omniglot & Wikipedia didn’t mention the legacy nasalization orthography. And I haven’t yet gotten in the habit of checking Evertype’s PDFs. Gotta get that to the top of my go-to resources.

Thanks guys.