Options

Headland

Gary LonerganGary Lonergan Posts: 8
edited March 2013 in Type Releases
Some of you will know me from Typophile where I posted some type designs. Well I have finally completed Headland which is now available for use and download at Google fonts. http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Headland+One
A big big thank you to Eben Sorkin without whom the project would not have been possible.

Comments

• Options
    As my intention is to also develop Headland as a text typeface for print I would welcome any feedback and comments regarding things that could be improved or included.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 997
    edited September 2012
    This is good! You should indeed develop it further and offer it for proper sale. It is deserves a better venue than Google.
  • Options
    James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,971
    edited September 2012
    Headland One is useful from very small sizes to headlines.
    What makes this typeface useful at headline sizes? Its contrast is low, its letters are wide, its serifs are chunky, its x-height is gigantic, and its extenders are short. If anything this a face best used at smaller text sizes.
  • Options
    I'm Gary Lonergan James B. Thanks for the feedback James P yes I there will be much more refinement in the print version.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Well, I always do mine more like /acute, but more upright and smaller, but I do not do serious typefaces. František Štorm did it like this:

• Options
    In regards to the dcaron, lcaron, tcaron, I used the information here as my starting point. diacritics.typo.cz/index.php?id=5
  • Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,147
    edited September 2012
    I've followed the lead of Peter Biľak in making it non-curly, more like an accent than an apostrophe:
  • Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,147
    edited September 2012
    (Bodoni Egyptian.)
  • Options
    I've followed the lead of Peter Biľak in making it non-curly, more like an accent than an apostrophe:
    Early on I decided Peter Biľak was probably the world's foremost authority on the lcaron, and that I shouldn't ever do anything he wouldn't do.
  • Options
    Does that special caron have its own Unicode location? If not, it should.
  • Options
    Does that special caron have its own Unicode location? If not, it should.
    It should, but it doesn’t. In practice this isn’t too bad because it’s only used for a few letters in one language and so a combining mark is not needed in fonts anyway.