Text Rendering between InDesign and Illustrator

Recently I was reviewing a typeface and came to realize that problems I was finding in Illustrator (CS6) were not found in InDesign (CS6). Specifically some letters were overlapping too much in Illustrator but not in InDesign. Ideas? Articles already available on this topic?

(Couldn’t decide where this belongs. Correct me if it should be elsewhere.)

Comments

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,257
    I have noticed rendering differences between Ai and InD.  It appears to be screen rendering differences.  Sometimes I get the impression that the 2 products deal with units in type differently.  The same UPM in both but somehow it looks like there are rounding differences between the two.  InD always looks better than Ai to me.  It looks better in InD when I  select Display performance>high quality Display.  I don't know what is going on.
  • kupferskupfers Posts: 246
    edited November 2015
    {hat sich erledigt}
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,257
    How has it been dealt with, Indra?
  • There was a misunderstanding about the forum’s “announcement” feature. Cleared it up.
  • Tiffany, I think technically this is not a rendering issue, but a text layout issue. The reason this matters is that Illustrator and InDesign use the same rendering engine (CoolType), but different text layout engines.
  • Tiffany WardleTiffany Wardle Posts: 238
    edited November 2015
    @Thomas Phinney It seems I need a primer in this. Is there a novice entry point for understanding the two?
  • Hmmm. Probably? But I don't know what to point you at. I will give a shot at some definitions, and maybe somebody else can correct or clarify.

A rendering engine does the actual font rasterization. Based on the font outlines and hinting, it decides what pixels to turn on, including any fancy sub-pixel action (like ClearType).

A text layout engine takes strings of characters, figures out what glyphs to use to represent those strings (*), and takes the rendered glyphs from the rendering engine and positions them.

* In the case of Adobe architectures, Adobe CoolType is a rendering engine but also supports the layout engines by providing the guts of this second function.

InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop all use CoolType for rendering and to get their low-level OpenType support, but InDesign has its own layout engine. Illustrator and Photoshop use a shared layout engine, ATE.