Options

"adhesion" equivalent in other scripts

I'm playing with the idea of a website which extends the Typecooker idea to different scripts. The aim is to interest people in designing for global scripts by giving them simple challenges to get them into it. (Yes, I know that designing for unfamiliar scripts takes a lot of research and experimentation and simply copying letterforms will produce a bad result, but I trust that type designers are a dilligent lot and will go and do that research, and I also plan to give more and more links for each script to facilitate that research. Currently there's a link to Scriptsource for each script, but there's also the facility to add more.)

The current state of the site is up at http://simoncozens.github.io/scriptcooker/  - it only has a few scripts at present but it's not too hard to add full Unicode coverage.

I can manage the programming side of this but I don't have the script-specific knowledge to make the challenges reasonable. In particular, assigning difficulty levels to the scripts, and giving people a reasonable starter set of glyphs which define the characteristics of the font, similar to "adhesion" or "videospan" or whatever for Latin. If anyone could contribute any difficulty level / adhesion pairs for scripts they are familiar with, either here or as changes to the source file, that would be very helpful!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks - that has Greek and Cyrillic, which is a good start. I know a good set for Devanagari is अ इ ख भ द ध ष. But it's the more "exotic" scripts that I'm interested in.
  • Options
    I imagine that いろはにほへと would be a good set for Hiragana (not so much katakana) but I don't know what Actual Designers use.
  • Options
    Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,391
    edited November 2015
    impallari.com/testing has some such strings