‘Grand Cru Classés’ sprouting from Antwerp soil

2»

Comments

• A week ago Fernando Mello collected the ‘Original Typeface’ Gold trophy for FS Brabo at the 2016 ED-Awards’ ceremony in Vienna!

• On Wednesday 16 November the Expert class Type design 2016–2017 course will start. The EcTd course comprises ten sessions at the Museum Plantin-Moretus in Antwerp during a period of roughly eight months. In between the sessions the students are expected to work hard and dedicatedly on the teamwise revival project and the new personal type design. Subscription is possible until one week before the start of the course.

In the course my research and resulting PhD dissertation on Renaissance type patterning, which I successfully defended at Leiden University on Tuesday 11 October 2016, play a major role. Because there is direct access to the Renaissance artefacts in the collection of the Museum Plantin-Moretus, this patterning can be easily tested and applied on (revivals of) historical type.

See you in Antwerp!
  • I enjoyed a lot being a student at the Plantin Instituut's EcTd. It's the ideal place to learn about French and Flemish typographic cannons and a very inspiring setting. 
  • Yesterday evening the Inside/Outside 2016 exhibition of the Plantin Institute of Typography opened at Kades-Kaden in Antwerp. Kades-Kaden is the exhibition hall of the renowned design agency Catapult, where also the exhibition series Type An Sich takes place. This is the fifth consecutive EcTd exhibition and the third one that is combined with the expo of the Expert class Book design (EcBd) course.

The Inside/Outside 2016 exhibition comprises the further developed type designs by the EcTd students who successfully finished the 2014–2015 course and a preview of the ongoing projects of the 2015–2016 laureates. The latter show their new, personal type-design projects besides the joined revival project, which is based on the Renaissance artefacts from the punchcutter Joos Lambrecht. These artefacts can be found in the wonderful collection of the Museum Plantin-Moretus and, as you all know, the course takes place at this fantastic museum!

As in previous years, Agfa kindly sponsored the printing of the beautiful panels.

• An updated EcTd course description is now available as PDF.

• AbrahamLeeAbrahamLee Posts: 60
    Now, this is a class I wish I could attend. This is right up my alley of interest.
  • Yesterday the seven EcTd students gave nice and interesting presentations on the process and progress of their personal projects. From Guyot to Tavernier, from Van den Keere to Dwiggins, and from civilité to nifty color fonts capturing the French-Renaissance patterning. Below you will find a small selection of photos taken at the cozy auditorium of the Museum Plantin-Moretus, where the EcTd sessions take place.