Options

Language Features in Browsers

I can’t find any good information about this – what’s the situation with browser support regarding various language-related OTF features in browsers? This seems especially important for Cyrillic, but obviously also other languages and scripts.

Comments

• Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,754
    I must be missing something here. Why is it "especially important for Cyrillic"?

This would be a pretty complex matrix of browser versions vs languages, I think. That's just imagining a fairly binary model of supported vs not. The good news is that recent browsers support a lot of "complex script" writing systems.
  • Options
    Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,394
    Cyrillic using OTL for Bulgarian variants?
  • Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,147
    In those fonts for which I have provided Bulgarian variants, they are manually activated by Stylistic Set, rather than being automatically tagged by language. This is because, as I understood the situation, through a Typophile discussion, many Bulgarian users would consider “Russian” Cyrillic to be default.

However, Serbian variants should change automatically.
  • Options
    Thierry BlancpainThierry Blancpain Posts: 201
    edited April 2014
    Sorry Thomas, I completely missed your reply. I guess it’s not more important for Cyrillic than other scripts in general.

But let’s say the Romanian 'S comma' – we have the feature in the font, and it’s of course supported by InDesign depending on the language set for a text field, but is it possible to use those features in browsers, and how? Aside from making it a Stylistic Set, as Nick says.

Possibly that is all already handled, I haven’t really tested it, so sorry if I’m asking a very obvious question here. I was just wondering and figured someone would know this anyway.
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,979
    This is covered in the CSS 3 fonts draft, but I'm not sure of the current status of implementation in browsers. The basic model would be that a browser, either independently or via system APIs, would apply language system layout automatically based on declared language in the document, in much the same way as InDesign does when text is language tagged. However, CSS 3 also provides for author-override of this an application of explicit OTL language system tagging in. This could be useful if, for example, you were serving a web font that included a Serbian (SRB) language system tag that you wanted to be applied to Macedonian tagged text in the document.
  • Options
    kupferskupfers Posts: 259
    edited April 2014
    Did you make the glyphs a locl localized form? Then it should work in browsers that support OT features (new ones, not Safari), on by default. It’s tricky though as language of a text not always corresponds with language of OS or what the reader prefers to see.
  • Options
    Yes, we’re using locl. Great to hear Indra.