Options

Composing Font Specimens - and those dreaded glyph substitutions

While composing font specimens with InDesign I've encountered some glyph substitution problems, but have yet to find a solution. The screenshot shows three examples - three substitution methods used when InDesign (or Mac OS X) encounters a glyph missing from the font:

1. ESTIMATED SYMBOL - Missing Glyph - InDesign alerts with the [X] - the notdef glyph
2. N-ARY SUMMATION - Missing Glyph - Mac OS X inserts the "borrowed" SUMMATION glyph from the system Symbol font
3. SCRIPT SMALL L - Missing Glyph - InDesign inserts the lower-case "l" glyph

The behavior for No. 1 - the missing ESTIMATED glyph - is the behavior I would like for all the missing glyphs. This would alert me visually (with both the big [X] glyph and the pink highlight) that the glyph is not in the font. Otherwise I have to look very closely at every glyph to make sure that neither InDesign nor Mac OS X has changed something.

So my questions - how to turn the substitutions off:

1. How to Turn Off: Mac OS X Symbol Font Substitution
2. How to Turn Off: InDesign Glyph Substitution

I have already turned off several InDesign settings that prevented some other types of glyph substitution ( Ligatures Off - Smart Quotes Off - OpenType Features Off ) but I would really like a way to turn off all substitutions.

Thanks for any solutions or tips.