Cherokee!

Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 230
edited January 30 in Type Design Critiques
Expanded my Combax further. I wanna hear your thoughts while I wait for a response from the Cherokee Nation. E-mailed them the below images earlier today  B)

PS. I took what I could from 
As far as I gather there is still no solid norm for the letterforms. Getting the book would be so expensive and tedious where I am at, with no guarantee it would arrive, that I did not bother (it takes shorter for items to travel to the state border then from there to the capital. Ouch!!  :# )

Comments

• If you emailed them, you should be hearing from Joseph Erb. His presentation at TypeCon New Orleans jumpstarted the interest in Cherokee, and was one of the most heartfelt and informative presentations I have ever witnessed.
  • You need to distinguish the letter E (Ꭱ, second letter in the top row) from the letter SV (Ꮢ, third letter in the fifth row). The latter's tail should meet the baseline in a serif.
  • Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,177
    edited January 30
    Looks surprisingly agreeable, considering I never liked the original design...

The two letters that look like a Sütterlin S also seem indistinguishable, other than that the second one has an unsightly blot near the exit stroke.

EDIT: I mean QUI and TLU, apparently.
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 230
    edited March 15
    I wrote to all three lecturers, this time with a proposal for a somewhat solid sans:

Took the time to elaborate that without step by step online instructions the likes of Polish Diacritics - How to? and VietnameseTypography type designer eager to help them out are bound to work from more or less flawed models, and could very well be fine-tuning wrong letterforms. i.e. the whole matter is a Catch-22 to perpetuate bad designs for their script.

Still no reply. Maybe the e-mails on the screen in the YouTube lecture have expired... I can't know.

I also clear that this design is a part of a much bigger set, involving almost all Latin and Cyrillic glyphs, and this is to be interpolated across around 8 weights + corresponding italics; that I could not allow myself to distribute wrong Cherokee glyphs and will leave them out completely if they don't get reviewed in time before the release deadline, which should be around May if all goes smooth. Maybe I was  bit too enthusiastic about the whole matter, could also be that there is something going on over there, or that an e-mail got lost... No idea.
  • Unicode has recently added casing to the Cherokee script. Will you add lowercase syllables to your fonts?
    As noted above, I need a native speaker to review the caps first.
  • Paul MillerPaul Miller Posts: 128
    Are there any diacritic marks used with Cherokee?  I assume not but I thought it would be better to check.
  • Are there any diacritic marks used with Cherokee? 
    I suppose not, what a pity! I’d like to see Cherokee with a Vietnamese or ancient Greek sort of accents invaded … delicious.
    Cherokee lowercase, really!? Oh…
    Now this is going to be double fun. Not to speak of the upcoming Cherokee blackletter releases. I thirst for innovations.
  • Paul MillerPaul Miller Posts: 128

Cherokee lowercase, really!? Oh…
    Now this is going to be double fun. Not to speak of the upcoming Cherokee blackletter releases. I thirst for innovations.
    As far as I can see the lower case is just a scaled down version of the upper case, sort of like Cherokee Small Caps.

An interesting variation might be a stylistic alternative which takes the characters back to Sequoyah's original script version of the characters.

There is a Cherokee blackletter.

• …  Sequoyah's original script version of the characters.
    I guess this version is not a stylistic alternative (in the OT sense) but rather the actual and original model for a typographic minuscule rendering. At least, to me, it looks like a suitable draft, for both upright and Italic sorts.

Bildergebnis fr Sequoyah Cherokee

• There is a Cherokee blackletter.
    do you care to give a pointer?
    edited April 11

There is a Cherokee blackletter.
    do you care to give a pointer?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1PjCk-aSKbQNzJmZWJkOGQtNzcxZS00ZGUzLWIwN2ItMDQ3MDcyOTgwODgx/view

The lowercase is not just a smaller version of the UC, as every lc before it, it is more written out and more cursive, the letterforms change, sometimes there are even variation in the same letter. Please check the video I posted above for more information - it features a hand written letter in Cherokee. The whole process is very much similar to watching Greek or Carolingian minuscule develop - in our lifetime. And this includes a strong neophobia, which explains perhaps why things move so slowly.
    And I'll also show what I comissioned and intended to use in the presentation.
    I realize now it was a too heavy investment, but the money went for a good cause, so that's that. :)

A meeting in heaven, a meeting of equals.

• Adolfo JaymeAdolfo Jayme Posts: 6
    edited April 17
    Are there any diacritic marks used with Cherokee?
    Cherokee is a tonal language, but tones are traditionally left unmarked. For educational purposes, one may use several diacritics over a letter. In addition, a diacritic below a letter can signal shifts in consonantal pronunciations. See section 8 of this Unicode document.

Here is a list of all the diacritics that may be used:

• 0300 COMBINING GRAVE ACCENT
    • 0301 COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT
    • 0302 COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT
    • 0304 COMBINING MACRON
    • 030B COMBINING DOUBLE ACUTE ACCENT
    • 030C COMBINING CARON
    • 0323 COMBINING DOT BELOW
    • 0324 COMBINING DIAERESIS BELOW
    • 0330 COMBINING TILDE BELOW
    • 0331 COMBINING MACRON BELOW