I am writing the proposal about contrast axis for @Peter Constable
. However the biggest problem is the way we interpret the value.
My general idea is:
- Higher contrast should reflect higher ctst value;
- Positive value for "normal" contrast;
- Zero for contrast-less sans-serifs;
- Negative for decorative "reverse-contrast" fonts;
But the quantity become a problem. There are two possible ways:
- Absolute manner: use some formula to transform the hairline-stem ratio into ctst value;
- Relative manner: value 100, 0 or -100 is always the "normal" contrast, and the ctst value is a relative quantity.
I have no idea which way is better. So do TypeDrawers folks have any idea about it?