Roijer

"Roijer" started as a handmade lettering logotype designed for "Peter Röijer" vintage perfume brand. Started now as a titling serif typeface. The main idea is create unconventional uppercase groups as similar as close to the personalized oldstyle lettering design do.

As a first step, I started with uppercase only, doing two models on each glyph, in letter one go into  UC-box and other into the lc-box, as you can see the 1st couple 'R' below here.

Comments

• Use the last R for the initial also, change the mid bar of the E to something simpler and it's a good 'un.
  • James ToddJames Todd Posts: 193
    …and also change your username to your real first and last name in compliance with our rules.
  • …and also change your username to your real first and last name in compliance with our rules.
    I'm already explain to Stephen Coles why I keep this nickname according to the rules 
    [...] (Alternatively, you may use a trade name if that obviously identifies you, but please also link from your profile page to a professional site that correlates with the name.) [...]
  • Use the last R for the initial also, change the mid bar of the E to something simpler and it's a good 'un.
    btw, the traditional 'E' it will be into uppercase box and the unconventional alternative will be into the lowercase box 'e'

• Why are you showing for critique the logotype instead of the typeface itself?
  • edited April 2016
    Why are you showing for critique the logotype instead of the typeface itself?
    Hi Craig Eliason, I started to show the process in a chronological way and the first step was a logotype that become a complete typeface that properly works into logotype design.

• Add new alternative of "L" version into the 'l' box
  • Changes on alternative version of 'T'

• PabloImpallariPabloImpallari Posts: 483
    edited April 2016
    Hi Pedro: the tail in the /J seems light compared to other serifs, I think it should be bolder. The same applies for the tails in the alternate /E /C /Y. And maybe the standard /S

The lower lobe of boths /B have different contrast angle to all other rounds /P /R etc...

• I think the swash Y needs reworking, the way the left stem joins the right stem is not working well for me
  • I think the swash Y needs reworking, the way the left stem joins the right stem is not working well for me
    Maybe experimenting with the structure in Delphin's /y/ might be worth trying. 
  • edited April 2016
    Hi Pedro: the tail in the /J seems light compared to other serifs, I think it should be bolder. The same applies for the tails in the alternate /E /C /Y. And maybe the standard /S

The lower lobe of boths /B have different contrast angle to all other rounds /P /R etc...

I tried and compared previous with this new changes (not an excuse but may be weight issues occur because I'm designing  this as display font but you're right about weight details.... I need to keep in mind that this is a logo font and need to be visible even at very small sizes). applied same correction to 'ß (eszett)' ...Thank you in advance Pablo.

I think the swash Y needs reworking, the way the left stem joins the right stem is not working well for me
    Oh thank you Dave.. I think soft transition works better now.

Craig Eliason good idea... I sketch something near to that model... and see that's looks interesting I think the 2nd 'y' one look more legible to me than 3rd 'y' (at least to our americas culture).

And by the way, I add a new alternative for 'J'

Thank all you guys for your eyes on this.
  • Adding now alternate 'I' into the lowercase box following the main idea on alt 'J' but with a smaller head and a more flat baseline.

• I like those alts with semidetached tildes. The «wrinkled noses» of /E etc don't quite do it for me, but I guess you're bound by the logo there.

The /ẞ looks quite swashy for a base letter. I'd trim away the fiddly bits for the base version and maybe semi-detach the top for the swash version.

• edited May 2016
    I like those alts with semidetached tildes. The «wrinkled noses» of /E etc don't quite do it for me, but I guess you're bound by the logo there.

The /ẞ looks quite swashy for a base letter. I'd trim away the fiddly bits for the base version and maybe semi-detach the top for the swash version.

Hi Christian, did you mean 'Z' on the second part of your comment?
  • Hm?  I was talking about /ẞ, not /Z. But upon closer inspection, the swashy /Z is really a bit over the top for my taste as well.
  • What happens if you need an Ĩ?
  • Put a secõd tilde õ top?
  • edited May 2016
    Hm?  I was talking about /ẞ, not /Z. But upon closer inspection, the swashy /Z is really a bit over the top for my taste as well.

Agree on that.. the middle link looks better, and make a traditional 'Z' and make accessible this alt via Stylistic Set.

What happens if you need an Ĩ?
    I think a better option could be if a regular 'I' with that tilde above it appear instead of that alternate one.

• Adding now first numeral glyphs

• This is both juicy and classy. Rare combination – kudos!
  • This is both juicy and classy. Rare combination – kudos!
    Thank you Hrant.. :smile: ... I hope to back on this project soon, mean while I'll leave it in a oak barrel for a little time, cuz I'll be bussy on distribution of my most recent launched font "LeBrush".