RoboFont vs Glyphs…

2»

Comments

• Christian: ‘[…] what are the thin verticals inside of the glyph boundaries? Perceived stem location?

cadence units
  • I tried those, but I'm so used to drawing and working in Fontlab why switch? Attempting to draw in Glyphs was very awkward.

I'm not interested in adopting an entirely new workflow and learning new apps. It's enough to use Fontlab, Prepolator, Superpolator, UFOstretch, RMX Tools, and various Macros.

I just wish Fontlab would update soon to have non-integer coordinates.
  • From a beginner and student point of view, Glyphs App was the more friendlier and accessible software to start. I previously learnt Font Forge and Glyphs was like a breeze of fresh air. Glyphs is the only one that offers a 50% off for students. Fontlab offers a discount only for a one year license and Robofont only offers discounts for instructors. I still have a couple of years left of school and Fontlab one year only was not an option. Im sure that down the road I will have to acquire more software but so far I think Glyphs is the right option.
  • I already learned FontLab a few years ago and when I started designing typefaces again I briefly tried Glyphs because it was recommended to try by some and the software is still being worked on while there's little progress on FontLab. I couldn't get into the work flow though, so I switched back to FontLab, eagerly waiting for the new version.

What do Windows users use for interpolation though?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ben BlomBen Blom Posts: 250
    What do Windows users use for interpolation though?
    RoboFab
  • Is someone prepared to make a video on interpolation in FontLab?
  • edited October 2014
    Is someone prepared to read? http://www.fontlab.com/font-editor/fontlab-studio/download-fontlab-studio/

Not to sound mean but you're going to need to put in way more effort if you want to be a type designer.
  • You're not sounding mean but just silly. Obviously I looked into what FontLab can do and in fact I also checked the manual and read the section about interpolation. The reason I asked specifically is for two reasons:
    1. There is simply not enough video documentation on FontLab and the manual isn't helping me to the extent I was hoping for. I find it confusing, hence I asked if anyone could show how it's done in a video. There's simply not enough video documentation on FontLab.
    2. I keep hearing the best software to use is Interpolator, which is not available for Windows last time I checked. When I asked what Windows users use, I wasn't actually asking generally; I was expecting to get insight into what the best software for interpolation is for Windows users, or at least which software is most commonly used and for what reason.

Jackson, all I get from you is a weak insult on how I need to put in more effort. How about we don't expect the worst from each other and offer constructive statements? Also, I'm already a type designer. I have plenty to learn still but that doesn't invalidate me as a type designer. I've done years of research to get to the point where I am now, so next time be a little more courteous.

It's good to know some people are using FontLab while others use RoboFab. So what are the reasons you're using those? Which interpolation software produces the best results, or is there no clear difference in the quality of the results?
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    When you get a "failed result", copy the light glyph into the mask layer of the bold glyph and select it so the handles are visible in both layers. Examine the points in both and see what is out of sink. Make corrections to one or both, then go back and remake your master.
  • Switch from Windows to Mac and use Prepolator/Superpolator.
    I assume Mr. Jarboe is joking, given his previous post?
  • Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 994
    edited October 2014
    This discussion has veered away from the original topic. If you would like to continue on a tangent, such as technical assistance with FontLab, please start a new discussion.
  • Michael JarboeMichael Jarboe Posts: 265
    edited October 2014
    Chris, kind of… but actually I've found that the Prepolator/Superpolator process so superior (especially in comparison to Fontlab's MM process) that it would be worth switching operating systems, or at least considering it. Isn't Prepolator/Superpolator the industry standard when it comes to interpolation?
  • @ Martin: When I first tried out the Glyphs demo, I also immediately missed a few items of my FontForge workflow. Switching systems always comes with overhead; you just have to persist until the new workflow manifests itself. Glyphs is totally worth the hassle of switching, and there's great online material and customer support. Just learning how to do interpolation in FontLab might take as much effort as switching to Glyphs, for all I know! (For the record: Interpolation is really, really easy in Glyphs.)
  • Glyphs is totally worth the hassle of switching, and there's great online material and customer support.
    I actually stayed with FontLab also because it was the industry's standard, so there were more videos online documenting specific features. However that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Would it work to use Glyph's interpolation capabilities alongside FontLab? There are several reasons why I don't want to switch completely at this point, but getting more familiar with some of Glyphs' capabilities might be a good idea.

• The creators doesn’t seem all that interested in listening to critique when it comes to this, which is very sad.
    Did you report your problems? It would have been an oversight if I didn't respond, I’m very eager to get feedback to improve thees scripts.
    There are several internal difference that make some changes necessary. The concept of kerning classes is different, Fontlab does not support nested components and the readable glyph names are not supported and need to be replaces. That might cause problems in some cases.

And about the extra curves, can you send the a .glyphs file that shows this problem?
  • There are several reasons why I don't want to switch completely at this point
    Could you explain them? This could help to improve the conversion scripts.
  • Well, the foremost reason is that I have problems with change. It's just a big step to switch from software I'm already used to. The second reason is that I need time to get familiar with new software and I currently have too much on my plate to deal with that. Another reason is that my previous generation used FontLab and I'm speculating here, but I suspect when I'm going to get my MA in typography & communication we will probably work with FontLab. If most people switch to Glyphs, I think I will switch as well as it would be an uphill battle if I'm so stubborn I continue to use software which isn't well documented and supported. For now though I'm eagerly awaiting the new version of FontLab.

I don't have any specific problems with Glyphs so I doubt my story will be of relevance when considering improvements for the software. 1,5 year ago I started using font editors again as I took a little break from it and focused solely on the design of typefaces, which I do in Illustrator. At that point I thought if I need to (re-)familiarize myself with the software anyway, I might as well try Glyphs. Being familiar with FontLab though, I couldn't make sense of Glyphs' layout within a certain amount of time. I had to do a typeface for a client so I had no time to learn new software, so I went back to FontLab. I learned a lot about FontLab since then, so it's almost unfortunate to switch.
  • Georg SeifertGeorg Seifert Posts: 669
    edited November 2014
    Frode, can you send me a .glyphs file that produces this strait curves. Because it doesn't happen for me.
    One problem I have when converting an FLS file to Glyphs is fractions. My fractions in FL look fine but when they get to Glyphs, they don't combine properly any more. Spacing is wrong.
  • It would be better if actual bug could be reported in the Glyphs forum or by email. This is not the right thread for this.