Options

Print or type every glyph in the font

What is the easiest way to get a print out of each and every glyph in the font, instead of typing it one by one?

Comments

• Options
    Paul HanslowPaul Hanslow Posts: 163
    What program you using to type out the font? There is a clever InDesign script which dumps the entire glyph set into a new document. If you're using InDesign I'll send you the link.
  • Options
    Mithil MogareMithil Mogare Posts: 42
    edited April 30
    What program you using to type out the font? There is a clever InDesign script which dumps the entire glyph set into a new document. If you're using InDesign I'll send you the link.
    I generally use InDesign for specimen generation or type testing.
  • Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,764
    I use this script occasionally. What I liked about the script is, working by GID means it does every glyph, regardless of encoding or alternate status.

It does them in glyph ID order, which works well for fonts where the designer/developer has exercised control over the glyph order. Some fonts may look a little chaotic, though.

What it does not do is, automatically default to “all the glyphs in the font” or even tell you how many there are. Some updates or tweaks to the script might be helpful, if you wanted a lot of all-the-glyphs samples.
  • Options
    k.l.k.l. Posts: 109
    edited April 30
    Just choose some arbitrary larger-than-need-be number. All glyphs past the font’s actual glyph count are displayed as .notdef which are easy to spot, select and delete.
  • Options
    I use this script occasionally. What I liked about the script is, working by GID means it does every glyph, regardless of encoding or alternate status.

It does them in glyph ID order, which works well for fonts where the designer/developer has exercised control over the glyph order. Some fonts may look a little chaotic, though.

What it does not do is, automatically default to “all the glyphs in the font” or even tell you how many there are. Some updates or tweaks to the script might be helpful, if you wanted a lot of all-the-glyphs samples.
    This is interesting, Could you please provide source of script or tutorials?
  • Options
    BraveTypeBraveType Posts: 1
  • Options
    Michal ChrastinaMichal Chrastina Posts: 4
    edited May 5
    If you are using Glyphs app there is also script “Copy InDesign Test Text” in Mekkablue folder. It copies every glyph into the clipboard. 
  • Options
    If you are using Glyphs app there is also script “Copy InDesign Test Text” in Mekkablue folder. It copies every glyph into the clipboard. 
    Na I am using fontlab 
  • Options
    Yves MichelYves Michel Posts: 157
    Na I am using fontlab 
    Unfortunately, Fontlab 6, 7 and 8 don't provide (yet?) the print feature present in their Studio 5 ancestor.
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,996
    The print options in recent versions of FontLab are indeed woeful, but that’s a separate issue from getting every glyph out of a font tool and into a program like InDesign. The Glyphs script that Michal mentioned presumably takes advantage of writing glyph IDs to  InDesign’s tagged text format. Toshi has a similar Glyphs script that works in this way.

It would be relatively easy, I think, for someone with Python programming skills and a knowledge of the FontLab API to write a similar script to work in FontLab. You could ask on the FL forum.