Options

Carson Old Face

Hello, I am trying to help a student doing a master's thesis and we have found a typeface used in Ireland in 1925 that Trinity College Dublin has labelled "Carson Old Face" but we think it might actually be a mislabelled Caslon. Has anybody heard of a typeface or foundry from that time by the name of Carson? - Thank you 

Comments

• Options
    No, I haven’t heard of a typeface or foundry from that time by the name of Carson. The oldest example I’m aware of is Carson Condensed, which was an alias used by Lettergraphics for Binner Gothic in 1968.
    If you have a sample of this mystery face, consider posting it to fontid.co (typeface identification requests are not allowed on TypeDrawers).

• Options
    James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,971
    Try looking it up in the Irish type design : a history of printing types in the Irish character. It’s available from The Internet Archive.

• Options
    No, I haven’t heard of a typeface or foundry from that time by the name of Carson. The oldest example I’m aware of is Carson Condensed, which was an alias used by Lettergraphics for Binner Gothic in 1968.
    If you have a sample of this mystery face, consider posting it to fontid.co (typeface identification requests are not allowed on TypeDrawers).

Thank you for the advice Florian!
  • Options
    Try looking it up in the Irish type design : a history of printing types in the Irish character. It’s available from The Internet Archive.

Thank you James, I will try but its not an Irish character typeface, I don't have a good enough image to share here but it looks like a "Caslon"
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,983
    I would put money on this being Caslon Old Face, which was released under that name the previous year, 1924. Caslon Old Face was a recutting and refitting of the original Caslon roman and italic, disingenuously marketed as being cast from the original 18th Century matrices.
  • Options
    I would put money on this being Caslon Old Face, which was released under that name the previous year, 1924. Caslon Old Face was a recutting and refitting of the original Caslon roman and italic, disingenuously marketed as being cast from the original 18th Century matrices.
    Thank you John, thats very interesting