Options

Type Network's new CEO

2»

Comments

• Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,979
    The point isn’t so much that indies are using social media, the point is to have your own shop.
    I agree with that. Dependence on platforms owned by other people—and especially dependence on a single platform owned by other people—is not a good idea.
  • Options
    I just want to chime in here and add on to what @Kris Sowersby was mentioning about ownership but I am mostly commenting on the dictation. When you say "Type Network was founded by and remains owned by type designers", in my opinion, it is very misleading and gives the sense that this is a worker owned company. I take it that not every single foundry involved is a shareholder?

• Options
    Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,394
    edited January 16
    When you say "Type Network was founded by and remains owned by type designers", in my opinion, it is very misleading and gives the sense that this is a worker owned company. I take it that not every single foundry involved is a shareholder?
    I don't think that's really fair; they've said who the founding shareholders are, some of them are type designers and they are still on the board with shares.

It isn't 100% type designers, but as Joyce has been saying, that's natural for a type business to have leadership who aren't themselves type designers. 

That's a big jump to "worker owned" which seems out of left field to me. And it also seems very safe to assume that not a single business partner has shares; it would be if the firm was called "type co-op", but it says network above the door, like "affiliate network marketing". Obviously it's a step above _that_, but still...

It seems plainly truthful and not misleading at all.
  • Options
    I can't stress often enough that the fixation on the percentage cut is self defeating.  The overhead for a font business is high and doesn't scale.  I have always thought that the reason companies like font spring struggle is in large part that they are on a starvation diet. What matters is the a combination of the way the do business (do they treat partners well, are they good public reps) and the gross income.  

• Options
    Igor PetrovicIgor Petrovic Posts: 263
    edited January 17
    I can't stress often enough that the fixation on the percentage cut is self defeating.
    Then each percent taken by the stores must be well justified which is rarely the case. We easily left once a standard of 60-70% going to type designer. And what we got, is it better now than it was earlier?

Circle: The store takes more to invest in marketing, but then other stores have to invest more as well, and then Google and Meta and whoever takes the money for the marketing. Font customer base and purchasing potential are the same as earlier except now we have to pay more to get the same results.

A percentage is important because lowering it easily becomes the standard, and then even the goodwill stores are under pressure to lower the percentage to run with the rest.

Giving up quickly becomes a habit.