Options

Music?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 762
    I prefer slow and melodic music by the very best. Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, Muddy Waters, and so on. Also jazz and Warren Zevon, I like ballads.
    If I'm on a deadline however, I listen to dramatic movie music - the Matrix Revolutions, Beowulf, 300.
  • Options
    Plenty of jazz, jazz-funk, funk, soul, some blues. Also Punk and Riot Grrrl if the mood is right.
  • Options
    Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,380
    edited January 4
    I usually go with music that's thematic to the typeface I'm working on. For example, when I worked on Glyxonite, a Yes/Galaxian typeface, it was a month of non-stop 1970s progressive rock. With Syndra, a Y2K themed design, I went through a Britney Spears and Janet Jackson phase. With some of the more technical aspects, like kerning, I listen to Comedy Bang Bang podcasts to quell the boredom.
  • Options
    I usually go with music that's thematic to the typeface I'm working on.
    Interesting idea, I have to try it.
    What is the order: do you listen to some music first, or do you have a prototype/idea for a font and are looking for music?

• Options
    Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,380
    Font first, then music, except in the case of Telemachus because I was on a Carole King kick, and was inspired by the font used on the Tapestry album cover.
  • Options
    30% of Jazz, 20% of Bossa Nova, 20% Classical Music, 10% Funk and 20% the sound from movies; from Qatsi trilogy & Piano to classics like Orfeu Negro, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, Paris - Texas, Shaft, Once Upon A Time In America... 
  • Options
    Qatsi trilogy
    Philip Glass is untouchable. I listen to his divine music any time, any place.  

Akhnaten

is one of the pieces that can turn anything epic.
  • Options
    Philip Glass is untouchable. 
    No, it’s Arvo Pärt who’s untouchable ;)
  • Options
    Philip Glass is untouchable. 
    No, it’s Arvo Pärt who’s untouchable ;)
    Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.  B)
  • Options
    I feel like I can't get anything done if music isn't playing. The New Radicals, I remember the title track, checking out the music video, it's so 1998, around the time I started my foundry, eeeek.

I listen to a lot of music, mostly new releases. These are my top 20 albums for 2023.

Kelela - Raven, Favorite Track: Washed Away
    The Waeve - The Waeve, Favorite Track: - Undine
    U.S. Girls - Bless This Mess, Favorite Track: Tux (Your Body Fills Me, Boo)
    Tennis - Pollen, Favorite Track: Let's Make a Mistake Tonight
    Everything But The Girl - Fuse, Favorite Track: Run A Red Light
    Arlo Parks - My Soft Machine, Favorite Track: Blades
    John Cale - MERCY - Favorite Track: STORY OF BLOOD
    Christine and the Queens - Paranoia, Angels, True Love, Favorite Track: Marvin Descending
    Circa Waves - Never Going Under, Favorite Track: Living in the Grey
    Lonnie Holley - Oh Me Oh My, Favorite Track: Kindness Will Follow Your Tears
    Paramore - This Is Why, Favorite Track: This Is Why
    boy genius - the record, Favorite Track: Not Strong Enough
    Caroline Polacheck - Desire, I Want To Turn Into You, Favorite Track: Welcome To My Island
    Slowdive - everything is alive, Favorite Track: kisses
    Gina Birch - I Play My Bass Loud, Favorite Track: And Then It Happened
    Taylor Swift - Midnights, Favorite Track: Lavender Haze
    The Drums - Jonny, Favorite Track: Plastic Envelope
    Cupid & Psyche - Romantic Music, Favorite Track: Angels On The Phone
    PJ Harvey - I Inside the Old Year Dying, Favorite Track: A Child's Question, August
    Lana Del Rey - Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd, Favorite Track: The Grants

I'm looking forward to the new Future Islands release this year. 2020's As Long As You Are blew me away.
  • Options
    James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,971
    This is a great mix of EDM remixes of songs from the 1990s and early 2000s.

• Options
    Personally, I can't listen to any type of music. It distracts me.
  • Options
    Music Maestro!

It was on the morning of June 6, 1938 in the city of Haarlem that the famous Dutch type designer Johannes P. Grypstuiver revealed to a stunned audience some of his secret harmonic and rhythmic rituals that preceded the mysterious process of letter-making.
  • Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,759
    Hey, you can’t fool us with a picture of Erik van Blokland in period costume....
  • Options
    I agree with Nick, Thomas, Mark and others that silence would be best, but since I had a hard time to concentrate as silence was "not so silent" in my neighborhood (and now I am forced, as they are restructuring my building and drilling!) I found that appropriate music can help to get immersive.
    Of course if you really need to concentrate and can't do it at home you'll have to resort to a library or the like, but I'd like to share the best single song I have found which helped me to become immersive (before the construction workers, that is! :-) )  and it's

· "Waiting for Cousteau" by Jean-Michel Jarre

Now I tend to make and test compilations of music I am familiar with.
    I find artists like Morcheeba or Thievery Corporation to be very good as background music, but of course it depends on tracks, one should test.

When I had an occasional barking dog in the apartment close to me, I used a mix of the aforementioned Jean-Michel Jarre track and natural noise provided by an excellent app called "Dark Noise": it's commercial, but worth the small fee, and if you use a Mac the desktop app is synchronizable with the iPhone and other devices. Great to use everywhere if you need to cover noise.
  • Options
    Lot's a classical mentioned above. I will try some. I usually prefer downtempo electronica, Zero7, Air, Tycho etc. But I can also listen to R.E.M. on constant repeat and not get distracted.
  • Options
    Lot's a classical mentioned above. I will try some. I usually prefer downtempo electronica, Zero7, Air, Tycho etc. But I can also listen to R.E.M. on constant repeat and not get distracted.
    Agreed. Music labeled as "downtempo" is generally very good. Although I find some of Air's tracks more distracting, regardless of familiarity, but this of course goes also for some tracks of the others mentioned.