Options

More questions on Monotype's subscription royalty model

2»

Comments

• Options
    Monotype wouldn’t be the Monotype we know if they aren’t already looking to take type designers out of type design and they have enough fonts to train AI on. 
    Hmmm, I'm not sure.

I don't see how people in the type business (myself included, as above) are incentivised to end the business; I can see incumbents' trademarks being valuable though - "ok computer, now make me a PDF for a poster using the above image and text from the prompts above, and design it with Helvetica®" and Monotype gets a penny - but I don't see how Adobe, Canva, Figma or anyone else is going to pay anything to anyone else when generating a document using this prompt ending in "with a swiss international modern typeface perfectly drawn with just the right proportions for each text element." 

I just don't know that many foundries will happy to see these generative systems remix their trademarked forms to collect that penny. But maybe that's where uniform licensing of large libraries will come in. 
  • Options
    Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,381
    I don't see how people in the type business (myself included, as above) are incentivised to end the business; 
    Consider the possibility that they might be sleepwalking their way into obsolescence in the quest for short-term gain.
  • Options
    Dave Crossland said:

I don't see how people in the type business (myself included, as above) are incentivised to end the business
    They’re not — but private equity investors are in the money business. I don’t think the long-term profitability of a craft like type (to say nothing of its long-term sustainability) is as much of a priority as near- to medium-term profitability. Investors with no appreciation for type really just want a good 5-year return, and then they’ll move on to the Next Big Thing.
    Nail. On. Head.