Options

Books on logo design – any recommendations?

I hope this isn't too off-topic – I know this is a type forum, but I suspect more than a few of you have some logo expertise as well.

I just finished some client work which included a bit of logo design, and I've realized I don't know nearly as much about the theory and history of logos as I do about type. I'd really appreciate any book recommendations – anything you've found helpful or instructive, or even just useful and inspiring reference books.

Comments

• Options
    John ButlerJohn Butler Posts: 250
    edited December 2023
    You could start with
    Leslie Cabarga’s Logo, Font & Lettering Bible
    and
    Doyald Young’s Fonts & Logos.

CORRECTION: I wanted to delete this, because upon re-reading your post, I missed the theory and history part of your request, and I don’t know whether those two would satisfy that requirement. Cabarga perhaps more than Young, though both are worth owning. But I can only edit my comment, not delete, because of the, ahem, well-meaning way this forum was set up.
  • Options
    CORRECTION: I wanted to delete this, because upon re-reading your post, I missed the theory and history part of your request, and I don’t know whether those two would satisfy that requirement. Cabarga perhaps more than Young, though both are worth owning. But I can only edit my comment, not delete, because of the, ahem, well-meaning way this forum was set up.
    My apologies John, my post could have been clearer. Any logo-related reading, including instructional texts, would be very welcome! And thank you for these two recommendations!
  • Options
    I always found it worth studying brand marks and logotypes in reality. When you see something which attracts you, ask yourself Why? When you see something which feels less convincing, ask yourself Why? Traditional Publishing house’s signets are often of a fine quality, but also the brands of (older) car manufacturers or football clubs.
    And learn to distinguish motif from composition and style.