Options

"HGGC Explores $4 Billion Sale of Typeface Firm Monotype"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,379
    A positive result of HGGC considering Monotype's sale is this scintillating thread. Meow!
  • Options
    Dusan JelesijevicDusan Jelesijevic Posts: 66
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    My gut says there's a lot of debt and a lot of puffery to this price.  I think that if they really thought they had increase the value this much they'd be taking it public again, not going for a private sale.  I hope we get an inkling what it actually sells for... I'd not be surprised at all if they are hoping to sell to Adobe or Microsoft, in which case they are public so we'd get some information.
  • Options
    @John Hudson Just because I think that's their hope doesn't mean I think it's likely to happen.
  • Options
    Miles NewlynMiles Newlyn Posts: 238
    edited October 2023
    As I understand it any foundry signed up with Monotype has to accept their new terms, which is just a button in the path to their improved foundry dashboard.
    These new terms give MT the right to first refusal should the foundry be sold at any time - including gifting to successors, or doing anything with it besides selling to MT.

This would be a factor in MT's valuation.

• Options
    A few months ago Monotype Fonts was marketed as having 40,000 fonts. Now it's 150,000 so it looks like a lot of foundries have accepted the new terms.
  • Options
    This.
    This really underscores the need for some kind of independent organizing, so we can at least reach out and keep each other informed about the underlying reasons for certain changes in the industry, and make decisions accordingly.

What do you suppose would happen if
    • customers declined to license anything from PE-funded companies;
    • foundries declined to join forces with PE-funded companies; and
    • workers (even when they’re called “managers” or “directors”) declined to work for PE-funded companies (easier said than done, I know, since some people have family members to support, don’t benefit from other sources of income, etc.)?
    🤔 
  • Options
    I belong to those who think that customers would be willing to purchase directly from type foundries (or from stores that would be marked as fair by the type design community) if they were properly informed about the current situation on the market. They get the same product at the same price, yet they make an act of activism, which is an emotional bonus. At least I would feel that way if I were a properly informed customer.