Options

Encoding the unencoded

2»

Comments

• Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,985
    edited October 2023
    If schwa + combining grave is input, then that is what is stored in the text string in the PDF, which means that the text can be selected, copied, and pasted into other environments and stands a reasonably good chance of being correctly displayed in other fonts as ə̀ rather than as  ə`.
  • Options
    Which keyboard layout has a schwa key but no combining grave?

There appear to be two Azerbaijani layouts, one QWERTY-based with grave, the other seemingly without, unless I’m missing something.
  • Options
    If schwa + combining grave is input, then that is what is stored in the text string in the PDF, which means that the text can be selected, copied, and pasted into other environments and stands a reasonably good chance of being correctly displayed in other fonts as ə̀ rather than as  ə`.
    Since my client is ony interested in a very narrow user base, I think I'd rather opt for making it easier for them to input rather than worrying about how it will render in another font which will likely never happen
  • Options
    So you think they will never use a system font or Noto or the like?
  • Options
    Who can say. Going back to input, if the schwa + combining grave is how the ccmp feature is written, can my client simply select the precomposed glyph via the character/glyph palette and still be compliant?
  • Options
    @James Montalbano you asked what were the best practices.

A ccmp substitution for schwa gravecomb by schwa_gravecomb is the best practice for glyph palette input and PDF accessibility.
  • Options
    Thank you for your advice.

I have tested schwa gravecomb by schwagravecomb, and it properly decomposes when changed to other fonts
  • Options
    @Denis Moyogo Jacquerye I tried you suggested ccmp code. It worked the same way my previous attempt did, but with the added bonus of aligning the base glyph with the precomposed glyph in the glyph palette. Thank you.