Anti-Ink-Traps

2»

Comments

• Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    Being a class clown is not remotely my thing.
    yeah but...
    I was of course having fun with its carnal nature
    Drawing attention to something you think will amuse people is 80% of the job of class clown. But if you don't take risks, you can't amuse anyone.
  • edited November 2017
    I do take risks, but to educate. The occasional humor (carnal or otherwise) is ideally in service of that, not for its own sake.
  • Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    edited November 2017
    I see this forum is so much more about psychology than I initially thought. I can't count the times I wanted to post a new discussion or answer but abstained because I was too anxious about being put on public display. For ever... There were also times I did and then regretted. Those I can count, obviously.

And I see I was right about Hrant being automatically classified as the clown though he's just witty in a way some people don't find that way. I feel terribly stupid standing up for a guy twice my age especially since he doesn't need it. I guess I need it. To be the clown. I just wanted to bring your attention to giving more attention. To people. All of them. Because when you judge, it says next to nothing about the one being judged. Not so much, about the judger.
  • I can't count the times I wanted to post a new discussion or answer but abstained because I was too anxious about being put on public display.
    That's a damn shame. Fear of posting is a forum's most virulent poison. Don't let them (individuals, to me not TypeDrawers as a whole) do that to you. If you ever need back-up from this evil clown, message me. I'm sure others would support you too. Support is something we all need.
  • Niche.Niche. Posts: 86
    FF blur is the first thing that comes to mind. But specifally rounding or eliminating traps just looks weird if you don’t round all the corners ami’ right? If you look at worn wood type a lot of the traps get rounded/worn. I guess they don’t get protruded in what you’re referring to an opposite of traps. 
  • Niche.Niche. Posts: 86
    like this  :D?
  • Does anyone know who invented ink traps, or what year they were first used  :'( 
  • Niche. said:
    like this  
    Sometimes the weirdness is the point... Which means the the type designer and everyone who ever bought and used it felt there was a witty kind of typographic in-joke worth sharing. 

... So thanks 
    :o)

• John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,088
    edited August 2022
    The same idea as is involved in ink traps is used in making integrated circuits.
    There is a fundamental limit to resolution for any given wavelength of light. This causes rounded corners, so the corners on the lithographic mask are extended with spikes.
    The emphasis is more on trapping white space than on trapping ink, but the principle is much the same. This is called Optical Proximity Correction.

EDIT: Oh, I see this is an old thread, on which I already said this. And indeed, trapping whitespace is what the OP meant by an anti-ink trap.
  • Russell McGormanRussell McGorman Posts: 258
    edited August 2022
    Here's some good information and interesting insight on "anti ink traps" from the Typographic Journal of Typographic Design (UK, edition# 12, October 1978). The technical term is "tiny spiky serifs"... Apparently. It's from an advertisement for a high end (by their own description) typesetting company. See below for more.

• & For the internal angles, these very subtle ink traps, or "microscopic indentations".